• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD vacc and side effects

taylor.alison

Warren Scout
Hey,
Just got Yoshi vaccinated for VHD - can these have any side effects? He's acting a bit weird, but we have also done a bit of changing around the room. We put his cage on top of a dresser, so he's up higher and his cage is a bit backwards. He's just acting a bit down in the dumps and lethargic. Hoping he's okay!

Hey,
Just got Yoshi vaccinated for VHD - can these have any side effects? He's acting a bit weird, but we have also done a bit of changing around the room. We put his cage on top of a dresser, so he's up higher and his cage is a bit backwards. He's just acting a bit down in the dumps and lethargic. Hoping he's okay!

Hey again.

Yes, certain VHD types can cause side effects. It knocks the bun for six for a couple of days. Biscuit was all over the shop for the first 3 days after his VHD, some people have little scabs at the injection site.

Yoshi won't be happy either being moved about, rabbits are creatures of habbit and change can upset them, even cause stasis occasionally so i've read (and we really dont want Yoshi doing that again!!!). If you can, might be worth putting his cage back where it was and just keep an eye on him for a few days, if he doesn't bounce back get him back to the vets.

Also, buns dont really like heights, so having his cage on top of a dresser will more than liley upset him.

Hope this helps :wave:

Both VHD vaccines are known to knock some bunnies back for a couple of days after they are given. It's because the vaccine is actually a small dose of the disease itself so it will make them feel a bit off colour. Some buns get away with no ill effects at all but some have a couple of days of being quieter than normal. Provided the bun continues to eat, drink, wee and poo, you shouldn't be overly concerned. People tend to see worse side effects from Cylap but these are things like swelling aroung the injection site and leg limp.

Thanks guys - he's mostly just being really quiet and unactive. He's still eating and pooping though, but I will keep an eye on him - don't think his appetite is as big as normal either. As for his cage, well we don't really have much of a choice because we have done a lot of rearranging of the room to prepare it for the winter days. The dresser was blocking the radiator so there would be basically no airflow and there is the potential of mold (i think) because this house is REALLY prone to it. I'm not too happy about it being higher either, but we are going to try to make some sort of a step so that he can get onto the bed easier. Hopefully Yosh will be okay with this :(

Back