• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel I'm losing cookie. E.C much worse today!

karen354

Warren Veteran
Last week or two he's been losing weight but still eating like a horse. I noticed a few weeks ago he was limping, this happened for a day or two and then he was okay running around and seemed okay.
Today woke up and he can't put any weight on his back paw at all and he's falling over to one side :cry: Could he be falling over to one side as he can't put weight on his leg?

Phoned the vets but the vet isn't in until 11am so i've got to wait and see if i can take him in straight away..

I feel sick and have such a bad feeling :(

Last edited:
Oh no how awful, I do hope the vet can help :(

Personally I would just get to the vets for 11am so you are waiting when the vet arrives - they're hardly going to refuse to see you if you're stood there waiting!

Big hugs and I do hope that Cookie is ok xx

I could be wrong, but the guy I know who researches EC said that is genuine typical presentation (other than a lot of other instances where EC is inaccurately diagnosed).

*PMs you*

I could be wrong, but the guy I know who researches EC said that is genuine typical presentation (other than a lot of other instances where EC is inaccurately diagnosed).

*PMs you*

Thank you.. The vet is on his way into the vets but he won't get there until 1pm now.. I work in a nursery and I'm acting superviser this week so have to go into work.. My husband is taking Cookie to the vets, is there anything i need to get him to ask the vet apart from EC?
He's eating lots is that a good sign?

I hope Cookie is ok and that he's just hurt his leg somehow rather than it being anything serious. Sending fuzzy good luck vibes for seeing the vet later

I would be also asking about a fully examination on that leg, and also the spine. I would probably also ask about x-rays on the leg, hip and spine to see if there is anything there that could cause this problem.

I would be also asking about a fully examination on that leg, and also the spine. I would probably also ask about x-rays on the leg, hip and spine to see if there is anything there that could cause this problem.

Okay will write it down for my husband to take with him.. Cookie has had trouble with his ears for a while aswell, he's been scratching his ears. I took him to the vets and they gave him drops for mites.. I wonder if that caused EC.

I hope Cookie is ok and that he's just hurt his leg somehow rather than it being anything serious. Sending fuzzy good luck vibes for seeing the vet later

Thank you. He's sitting in his shed with his wifey bun at the moment and eating a little bit of toast I just gave him.

Okay will write it down for my husband to take with him.. Cookie has had trouble with his ears for a while aswell, he's been scratching his ears. I took him to the vets and they gave him drops for mites.. I wonder if that caused EC.

EC becomes active when the immune system is struggling, so its possible the mites caused that. Mites also, though, make an appearance when the immune system is under stress normally. So which came first? Or were they both an occurance because of something else? Those are the questions I would be mulling, I think.

Vet is sure it's E.C, SKY-O you were right...
He's going to start on Panacur 28 day tomorrow, I wanted to start him today but they haven't got any in.
She then said start all the other buns on a 9 day course.

Poor Cookie

I would insist on the Metacam as if it is EC then it's important to minimise th inflammatory response to the EC spores. It is the inflammatory response that causes clinical symptoms and long term cellular damage. If the Vet says that Metacam isn't necessary as Cookie 'is not in pain' my argument would be that it is for the anti-inflammatory properties of Metacam, not necessarily the analgesic properties.

My Vet usually gives abx cover if headtilt is present as a middle ear infection is a possibility.

Sending get well vibes for Cookie xx

I went back this morning to the vets to pick up Cookies Pancuar, I also told the vet I wanted Metacam and antibiotics. It was a different vet than yesterday and she agreed with me that she would of said for him to have both matacam and antibiotics.
She has said metacam is for 7 days 1ml but looking at the bottle there's only 3ml in the bottle :? I've also been charged on my bill for a 15ml bottle :?
so I'll have to go back on Monday as 3ml will only do us for 3 days.

I went back this morning to the vets to pick up Cookies Pancuar, I also told the vet I wanted Metacam and antibiotics. It was a different vet than yesterday and she agreed with me that she would of said for him to have both matacam and antibiotics.
She has said metacam is for 7 days 1ml but looking at the bottle there's only 3ml in the bottle :? I've also been charged on my bill for a 15ml bottle :?
so I'll have to go back on Monday as 3ml will only do us for 3 days.

Is it the Dog Metacam ?

Back