• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lawn Treatment

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
We have been having our lawn treated for past 18 mnths by Greenthumb to make our awful grass turn lush green and weed free, i wondered wether to cancel our treatments cause know we have buns and i am trying to get some money together for large run for lawn (currently have hutch with large run that hubby made underneath at present on concrete) they do have run of house few evenings per week once kids are in bed but i am waiting to get some cash together for a large folding run for lawn, now since my Toto was ill after i think she ate grass in spring (didnt eat for nearly a week £100 vet bill but made it thru) i was worried about putting them on lawn and i am slowly building my greens up with just dandelions at mo and am currently growing parsely, thyme and coriander for them in the window, now they have been to treat lawn today and i wanted to cancel but forgot they were coming i explained about buns he said its safe if you leave them off for couple hours and just water the fertiliser in as its like little granules you dont want them eating but said after a good water the lawn will of soaked up that and the weedkiller, however i am still worried he did leave me an square area that he didnt treat but didnt really stick to place i wanted him to when he sprayed, so now i am thinking i have to leave off the run for few more mnths now make sure that they dont get ill when i let them on grass before it was months after i had last treatment so sure it wasnt that that made Toto ill but i am worried the fertilser and weedkiller stays in grass for long long time any advice or experience shall i just cancel treatments now i should of done that anyway but do any of you have similar situation?

I would not put my buns on a lawn that had been treated with weedkiller and fertiliser for a good few weeks to a month minimum and only after it had rained and I had cut the grass twice. Buns have very sensitive tummies. If it were me I would cancel the treatments and put up with a not perfect lawn - it won't stay perfect with buns anyway! :lol:

If it is a systemic weedkiller like glycophosphate these break down in the soil to harmless chemicals in about 6 weeks. So perhaps it would be safest to wait 6 weeks.

ETA if it's any consolation - our lawn is burnt brown and dead now with all this sun and no rain. Give it some rain and all the lovely bunny poops on the lawn are a wonderful fertiliser - you will see how much bunny's improve your grass growth just doing what buns do naturally! Much safer fertiliser ;)

Last edited:
Personally I have forbidden any lawn treatments since we have had buns - I just wouldn't risk it. The treatments that advise Pet Safe I feel have cats and dogs in mind not grazing animals.

i am def cancelling future treatments cause it will be end summer at this rate before i can afford run and before i will feel it safe for them to go on i will leave at least 6-8 weeks and make sure i have watered well and cut twice before considering their folding run then thanks ladies i never thought of the bunny poops lol my grass is burnt at mo too but wanted it to get lovely and green before they went on it of you get me? but will do them more harm than good getting a lovely lawn if it will kill them i know really but wanted nice lawn for them aswell as me? i will write my letter of cancellation today and make sure today's treatment is my last beside i cant find any damn dandelions for them lol :lol: lawn was covered in them 18mths ago :lol: will be ensure i leave it 6 weeks thanks ladies i knew it would be unsafe but like you say think they think more inline with cats and dogs dont they:wave:

grass care for bunny paddock

i am def cancelling future treatments cause it will be end summer at this rate before i can afford run and before i will feel it safe for them to go on i will leave at least 6-8 weeks and make sure i have watered well and cut twice before considering their folding run then thanks ladies i never thought of the bunny poops lol my grass is burnt at mo too but wanted it to get lovely and green before they went on it of you get me? but will do them more harm than good getting a lovely lawn if it will kill them i know really but wanted nice lawn for them aswell as me? i will write my letter of cancellation today and make sure today's treatment is my last beside i cant find any damn dandelions for them lol :lol: lawn was covered in them 18mths ago :lol: will be ensure i leave it 6 weeks thanks ladies i knew it would be unsafe but like you say think they think more inline with cats and dogs dont they:wave:
Hi
We have 3 buns accessing grazing corrals all year round but in winter they graze grass very short-- which can increase moss. So this year in spring i fertilised with Evergreen Organic Choice -- info tel 0870 5301010-- I did it in 2 sections-- excluding them fom the feritilsed section for about 2 weeks while it soaked in with watering and rain. Info line told me it was safe for grazing animals. Don't know what others think-- but it is suitable for organic farming though presumably dried blood feather hoof etc could carry some bugs.

We are watering the corral in this weather as they are actively grazing and the grass needs watering to stay growing in the drought.
Recently on a sustainable gardening course I learned about making fertiliser from nettles or seaweed or comfrey. We did the nettles--- pulled up nettles --a big garden sack tightly stuffed-- and then put them in water in an empty dustbin. After a few weeks it stinks to high heaven. you dilute it at least 20 parts water to one of nettle juice and use as fertiliser. I think that would be fully safe for your buns, and we will be trying on the grass in autumn. Never ferilise during dry period, frost or too late in the autumn.

Our buns love their grazing corral and the grass is good for their teeth esp as they won't eat hay and are elderly and prone to tooth problems.

We bought rolls of 3 foot mesh, stapled ends to wood battons and use thickgreen garden wired to connect up in a big circle. We hammer in canes to hold fence vertical and tent pegs or garden weedbarrier staples to hold bottom edge down. Our buns in pairs dont try to dig out as they are happy together and regard it as a safe part of their territory. We have the access to their caged area open when they are in their corral or you can put a box in corral as a bolt hole.
We don't leave them out if we are not in the house, because of foxes. But wobbly top of fence makes it harder for a fox to get over. We've used these corrals for many years and they can be moved easily for mowing or relocating. In this weather we have to pound a massive tentpeg spike from a caravan shop about 7 inches into the ground to make a new hole for a cane. We use wood block on top of can to pound it without spitting cane.

Rabbit poo is the only fertiliser you can use direct at the base of plants, and it is even better than chicken poo!

Good luck! Shebunkin

Back