• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rascal's Booked In for His Neuter on Thursday .....

Bitzy

Mama Doe
.... and now I'm really nervous!

Never done this before so just wondered what advice anyone can give??

Also we've never been to this vets before so he's booked in at 9am for a consultation and then if all's well he has his op that day!

So, they've said to take him in his carrier with his food and some greens but that was all the advice she gave really (mind, it was only the receptionist I spoke to).

I'm wondering what after care he needs? I believe they have to come indoors for a couple of days just so I can keep a close eye on him and because he won't be able to regulate his body temp??

What else do I need to do and is there anything special I need to buy in for him??

Thanks, Jo x

... anyone?

Really want to make sure I have everything I need before Thursday as I don't want to be dropping him off then running round like a mad 'un cos I'll be stressed enough as it is!

What sort of indoor set-up do I need for him? I'm going to P@H tomorrow to get a pen that I can use indoors, he has his carrier and also a cat bed ..... wasn't sure which he'd prefer to sleep in/on!?!

Other than food/water and litter tray, is there anything else I should put in his pen?

I'm off Thurs, Fri and weekend so can keep a close eye on him, thought I might put his pen in the dining room as its nice and quiet in there ... however, as its got patio doors, it doesn't have any curtains so he'd wake up when the sun came up (and he'd be able to see his Dizzi in her side of the hutch from there too). If I put him in the living room, that's our main living space so we'd be in there watching tv etc but we could close the curtains at night so he can get some peace and quiet.

Which do you think would be best for him?

sounds good to me - mine was in a dog crate with his blanket, food, litter tray and a bowl of water rather than his bottle...

he slept for a couple of hours when he got home (about 6ish) and was a bit wobbly when washing himself after that for a little while :love: then he had a big drink and a little bit of food about 10pm so i left him to it :D

I was a nervous wreck too! :lol:

Thanks Katiebob ........ I'm really panicking now! lol

Every hour I find another issue to worry about! :oops: :shock: :? :roll:

Currently, its .... is he too young? (he was 12 weeks on Fri just gone). When he saw the last vet for his 2nd lot of jabs he said he was ready then (couple of weeks ago) and he has definitely got both man bits showing! But he'll only be a day short of 13 weeks!! Poor little lad!!

However, if I'd waited til the vet I wanted was available to do it (she came highly recommended from Tuckerbunnies) it would be another month off ..... but that's when we were planning on having Dizzi done so that we can get them back together before September when we go on jollies, otherwise I'll just be worried the whole time that they're separate and lonely!! :?

Oh blimey ........ last night when I was checking the bunnies over ....... it looks like Rascal's man bits have now disappeared!!!! :shock:

They were definitely there the other day!! :shock: :?

Oh blimey ........ last night when I was checking the bunnies over ....... it looks like Rascal's man bits have now disappeared!!!! :shock:

They were definitely there the other day!! :shock: :?

They can suck them up ;) Zero was a master at doing this at the vets!! If you gently move him up and down a bit they should hopefully drop down :)

Harvey was done at 9 weeks old so he's not too young, but if they aren't always down your vet might decide to wait.

I also agree you might want a bowl instead of a bottle, when Castiel was neutered he stopped eating and drinking and in the end it was a bowl of peppermint tea that got him drinking :)

Make sure he has something to keep warm on, they do often struggle to keep their temperature up after a GA, and make sure the pen isn't too big as you want to restrict exercise for a few days

And keep an eye out for him chewing his wound :shock: you could ask for a cone to take home with you if you want, and put it on if he starts getting a bit nibbly. I think most bunnies are fine, but every one of my rabbits who didn't get a cone after their neuter decided to reopen their wound :shock: think I was just unlucky though :)

That's quite a trick they can do then! lol Will see what the vet says in the morning!

Thanks for all the other advice ..... would a nice fleecey blanket be ok to keep him warm (especially in this weather), he also has a fluffy cat bed and towels in his carry case ... or would I need to wrap a hot water bottle in something and put that in the pen too??

They usually use a bowl anyhow now as when I first got them home they had a temporary run and there was nowhere to hang the bottle so they got a bowl and since then they've preferred that (have offered both but they just don't seem interested in the bottles anymore)!

I thought about taking some of his fave greens as well as pellets to the vets, would this be ok? Thought he might have a better chance of eating his greens as he absolutely loves them!

I am a little worried about the car journey, off peak its about 25 mins drive but my appt is at 9am so I'm giving myself 45 mins to get there .... he'll be petrified by the time we arrive, poor lad ..... is there anything I can do to make him feel better? Dizzi's staying at home (as they're separated at the moment anyway), would a soft toy be ok for him to snuggle up to instead of Dizzi??

Thanks again for your replies, really appreciate it!

Jo x

That should be fine :) a hot water bottle shouldn't be needed in summer. I gave Castiel a cuddly toy :oops: you could give them each one to cuddle.

I would take some of his pellets and some greens as well if you want to :) sounds like a really good idea as eating afterwards is so important.

Just don't panic :wave:! He should be fine, there's no way a rabbit savvy vet will go ahead if he's too young or too good at sucking himself in. Just make his carrier as comfy as possible, you could put him a couple of treats in if you wanted :)

I wouldn't worry too much, my poor little babies have to endure a metro or bus ride to the vets and they recover pretty fast.

Thanks very much, I feel a bit better now!

At least I know the vet's a good 'un as she came highly recommended by Tuckerbunnies who even used her when they moved out of town ...... so that's one less thing to worry about! lol

Good idea about giving them both a snuggle toy! I'll get onto that!

What kind of treats do you give your buns? Mine act like even their pellets are the bestest thing in the world ..... and they go mad for their greens, oh and they quite like the alfalfa mini bale thingies.

So far, that's all I've given them (oh and a whole variety of different hays to try of course .... they have unlimited amounts of that)....... haven't yet entered into the world of treats! (Although I only live up the road from P@H so could nip in there tonight).

Thanks again x

Back