• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not again...

MPHF

Alpha Buck
Floppy is going to the vets tonight. We noticed yesterday that she is dribbling again though this time we don't think it's the abscess. There is no swelling.
Could it be spurs?
She is eating pellets and hay ok, although her eating has slowed down.
She has already had two abscess drains since the end of March under GA. If she needed another procedure under GA it would be her third in three months.
We don't know whether to put her through this again or whats best.
Could she develop side effects from so much GA?
Sorry for the rant, just really really worried. :oops:

:( Poor, poor Floppy, and poor you guys. I suspect this is related to what she was doing last week.

Regular GAs are obviously not ideal, but when necessary, if the bunny bounces back ok, can be done. Charles has a bunny who has a dental every 4 weeks and bounces back fine.

I wonder if the abscess may have changed or something and be more in her mouth, or if it is causing her to not eat on that tooth/side.

If you think that having her PTS is the best option for her, and you guys want some company, just let me know. If I can do anything to help then I will. What time is her vets appointment?

When we touch the side where she is dribbling, it is tender on that side of her cheek. Last night when she had her pellets, we noticed she was holding her head on the side a little, like she was trying not to eat on that side.
Her appointment is at 4:50 but whatever Charles says, we will bring her home and discuss it thouroughly before we made any decissions.

Well the vets confirmed our worst fears :(
The dribbling is not due to the abscess but just due to tooth root pain in general. Her jaw is swollen so that is what is causing the pain. He thinks more investigation would be more painful for her and wouldn't be any help.

We're hoping we still have a couple of weeks with her so Hannah can finish her exams before we have to make the decision but Charles thinks it could be as quick as a couple of days. :cry::cry:

:wave:
Just felt we should update this :)
Floppy is still with us. She has good days and bad days although she is becoming quieter. She is still very interested in food which is great :D In the garden, she can only manage about half an hour but she is enjoying herself.

I will put some more pictures of her in the garden on the other thread :D

I suspect it will be her time next week sometime but she has already surpassed everyones expectations so who knows?

Back