• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unwell rescue bun

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:

One of my rescue buns is really not well at all and I'm at a loss tbh

She was taken poorly on Monday, I was at work but my lodger found her in her run shaking, lethargic and not eating, I got him to take a taxi up to st georges. The vet didn't think she would survive, he said her cecum was full and hard, she was put on a drip and meds. I went and saw her on my way home from work she was lying lifeless with her drip in, they had checked her teeth and said they were fine (she didn't need putting under she was just floppy and dead like they could check her like that). By the night when I rang she had managed to pick her head up by herself and have a look around.

When I rang on Tuesday morning, they said it was still touch and go but she had managed to get on her feet and bite through her drip. They kept her in until Wednesday evening and thought she would do better at home, she had started to eat a little by herself and her cecum was softer, but she has not picked up, she seem a bit brighter last night, but not a massive amount and she will only munch a little spring green (it just screams teeth to me). They think she might of been bitten or stung, has anyone know this kind of reaction from this?

She is back in the vets this morning at 10.45

If it's an impacted caecum it'll take days of intensive fluids(IV/SQ +Oral-at least 200ml/kg/24hours), Lactulose, Ranitidine, Metoclopromide and Metacam. Gentle massage of the caecum is also needed to break up the impacted matter.

My Patrick took about 10 days on this treatment before he recovered from his impaction.

I believe Domperidone is also an option to increase motility in the caecum.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226422

Sending vibes for her xx

Awwwww thanks Jane, maybe I am worrying myself unnecessarily then, she is drinking, but I think she might be admitted again today. She is on all those meds, I can't fault st geoges tbd, on Monday night they couldn't even syringe her food because she was too ill to swallow by herself, so she has come a long way, but she aint right :(

No not at all :( she's back in the vets again on Monday, hopefuly she will be back to normal by then :(

No not at all :( she's back in the vets again on Monday, hopefuly she will be back to normal by then :(

I hope so.
As I said earlier, Patrick took a good 10 days to clear the back-log.
I stupidly thought once it started moving it'd all come out in one big poo. But it doesn't, it comes out in bits........which Patrick delighted in eating just as he would a normal cecotroph.......... :?

:lol::lol::lol: I think she might be like this, she is starting to eat a bit more too so hopefully it will start coming out the other end properly soon, we're getting a few little bits, not much though :shock:

Back