• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sneezing

alaska

New Kit
hi i wondered if anyone can help me i have a mini lop buck that sneezes and gives a little cough there is nothing coming out his nose eyes ears or mouth he is happy eating and drinking wondered if anyone knew what it was and how to treat it and what may be causing it thanks

My neddie has been sneezing for quite some time, sometimes with discharge. I took him to the vet who gave him Baytril (anti biotic) but he continued to sneeze. When I went back he said that because he is in good health he thinks it could be an allergy or a small piece of hay or something stuck up there. My vet is very rabbit friendly and is the same vet as our local rabbit rehoming centre so I think it must be an allergy. Please take your bun to the vets though and a course of antibiotics can't do any harm and if it is respretory will cure it. Please let us know how it all goes, would be interesting to find out if anyone eles has a rabbit with an allergy. By the way my other 3 show no signs of sneezing, runny eyes ect so can only think the vet must be right.:)

would be interesting to find out if anyone eles has a rabbit with an allergy.

Bluebell was diagnosed with allergies 3 years ago. I have been managing it myself with courses of enchinea. However this year he has been worse than ever (he is much worse in summer) and his breathing was so raspy sounding and laboured I took him straight into the vets. My new vet was very skeptical about his so called allergy as its one of those things vets have differing opinions on. We tried antibiotics but they made no difference. I've started to use dust free hay and there was a big improvement on the sneezing aspect. Vet is now inclined to agree with the allergies and the noise is coming from his larynx which it would seem there is little they can do about. To be honest I'm not sure we'll ever get to the bottom of his problems I just have to take each day at a time.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is its always better to get a vets opinion and not rely on the fact it might be allergies.

I have the same thing with Soze - vets gave him baytril, and pronounced him in perfect health otherwise, but he still occasionally sneezes. He does woolf food though, I wonder if he just flicks hay and bits of dust to make himself sneeze, or perhaps has a mild alergy.

Worth checking with a vet.

Back