• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Taking the buns to the vets tonight - bit worried! U/Date - Back!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hiya

Well, I've decided to bring the bunnies Vac & check appointment forward as I'm quite worried about them.

I went home at lunchtime and popped them in the kitchen for half an hour as its throwing it down at the mo (and their new run won't be ready til tomorrow) and they were really subdued and lethargic ....... usually as soon as they come out they run round like mad bunnies!

They also have excess caecotrophs and its sticking to them ..... and when I say excess, I mean excess, they're all over the place. I know it could be due to the move but that was 5 days ago and I'd have thought they'd have settled down a bit by now, not got worse.

Plus they've both been doing the hiccuping thing and I'm just worried that they're actually poorly!

Rang the vets, they said they were fully booked but she'd speak with a vet ........ she came back on the phone and said she could book me in this evening so they must think they need a look at too.

Poor little things, hope I'm just being paranoid, hope they're ok and that I've not done something to make them ill!!

Jo x

Last edited:
its probably the stress as well as a whole new diet theyve been introduced to, its good to get them checked tho :wave:

as for lethargic.. if i went home now id come across two very drowsy bunnies because its snooze time :love::love::love:

its probably the stress as well as a whole new diet theyve been introduced to, its good to get them checked tho :wave:

as for lethargic.. if i went home now id come across two very drowsy bunnies because its snooze time :love::love::love:

I agree, they are proably feeling very sleepy! Jims is sprawled out under the table :love:
Stress can do all sorts of things to buns just like it can to humans.
It may be a good idea to decrease veg and pellets to encourage more hay consumption, to help get their tummy back in to a good balance.

Thanks for your replies ..... soo much still to learn!

I really hope I'm being paranoid and that the move has just stressed them out a little.

I've been giving them unlimited pellets as it says on the bag (cos they're only 8 weeks old) ....... they have unlimited hay and just a few veggies a day (a couple of leaves etc).

I haven't seen them eat a 'special poo' yet ........ is it obvious that's what they're doing? I'm just wondering if they've been eating any or leaving them all?! On average, how many special poops do they produce each day?

Thanks again, Jo x

Thanks for your replies ..... soo much still to learn!

I really hope I'm being paranoid and that the move has just stressed them out a little.

I've been giving them unlimited pellets as it says on the bag (cos they're only 8 weeks old) ....... they have unlimited hay and just a few veggies a day (a couple of leaves etc).

I haven't seen them eat a 'special poo' yet ........ is it obvious that's what they're doing? I'm just wondering if they've been eating any or leaving them all?! On average, how many special poops do they produce each day?

Thanks again, Jo x

Hmm I think that largely depends on what they are eating?! :? On average I would say I see Jims gobbling them up around 4 times per day.
You know when they are eating them, they look like they are going down to wash their bum, Jimby's bum twitches when he takes them from his butt then he quickly brings his head up still gobbling :lol:

I know some people will disagree with me here but I really don't like feeding baby buns unlimited pellets as I find it has an adverse effect on how much hay they eat. How much hay are your two munching? I completely understand growing babies need extra but if they aren't getting enough fibre you may want to cut it back at least a little bit and see if that helps.

Good luck at the vets.

Well I'm back from the vets and feel even worse now!

Firstly I had to sit in a tiny waiting room with my two buns and 5 barking/howling/crying dogs - I'm absolutely petrified of dogs btw ..... so by the time we got in to see the vet, I was as stressed as them!! (I know I should expect dogs in a vets but I thought at least there'd be room to sit away from any that were there .... this is a converted house so the waiting room is like a small living room with 6 chairs and a reception)

Then the vet tells me all about his bunnies (yes great but can we get to the point), says that mine not eating caecotrophs isn't a problem, the number of them being left isn't a problem either and that I shouldn't change the litter every day because they may want to go back to them later!?!? (but they go hard after a while, surely they won't eat them?!)

He said to cut out all veg because of them getting sticky bums but I can reintroduce slowly later ..... he said to fill their bowl with pellets and just make sure they don't run out (but then said I must make sure they're eating enough hay .... if they have unlimited pellets, how can I be sure they won't eat them instead??) he said they'd still eat the hay!

I asked him about the twitching/hiccuping ..... he said he didn't know what it was and to keep an eye on it. (oh right, helpful, thanks)

I've paid up front for the jabs (they have their VHD in 3 weeks), if I still feel as uninformed as I do now when I go again, I'm switching vets.

Don't get me wrong, he was lovely and spent quite a bit of time chatting to me but it was all just a bit too vague!

He checked their bums/ears/teeth (Rascals are a little long but nothing to worry about - just make sure he eats more hay - again, how can I do that if they have unlimited pellets??) and heart (I presume, he used his stethascope) ..... he weighed Dizzi at 1kg but when I came out I realised he hadn't weighed Rascal.

I probably should have asked more questions and then the info wouldn't have been quite so vague ...... but with me being as stressed as I was, it all just went past in a bit of a blur!!

I haven't caught them eating one caecotroph yet - and I've been watching ...... he said they eat them most at night and that they sometimes eat them all, sometimes they don't bother!!

I actually came out of there and cried!!

Jo x

PS/ They're good at hay eating at the mo Amy which is why I'm concerned too that if I give them unlimited pellets, it may make them leave the hay!

Last edited:
oh dear - it is so important to feel you can trust your vet and although he sounds friendly perhaps you should start a thread which is titled ' Good Bun Vet in XXXXX needed: please recommend'.

Although he was right in some things others were not what must bun owners or vets would agree with.

And trust really is very important.

Hiya, thanks ..... yeah I already did that but the only one that was recommended is a minimum 30 min drive and I thought that might stress them too much (this one is a 15 min drive away) ....... think the extra 15 mins each way might be worth it now tho.

I might add to my thread and see if any others come forth.

Cheers, Jo x

Hi Jo, sorry to hear your vet did not fill you with confidence. To be honest, I was not keen on what you have said he said.
Where abouts do you live?

Thanks, me neither ..... and he has his own buns too!! :( :?

I live just on the outskirts of Blackpool (Lytham St Annes end).

Jo x

Thanks, me neither ..... and he has his own buns too!! :( :?

I live just on the outskirts of Blackpool (Lytham St Annes end).

Jo x

It is a bit worrying that he has buns of his own and he is ment to be a vet and still gives poor advise. :shock:
Oh bit too far away from me in Surrey :lol:

Just a bit! lol

So in view of their excess caecotrophs and bearing in mind that they're only 8 weeks old ..... would you give them unlimited pellets??

Thanks, Jo x

IMO I would not be giving unlimited pellets, maybe 2 egg cups worth per day, if they have too many pellets then they will get in to bad habits and not eat hay which will cause problems for them later.

Thanks, I've started gradually cutting down on their pellets and this morning ........ no sticky bums!

Saw a couple of caecotrophs in the hutch but nothing like the day before ....... might just be coincidence as I've only just started cutting back but I feel a bit better already!

Oh and their normal poops are lovely! lol

Jo x

Thanks, I've started gradually cutting down on their pellets and this morning ........ no sticky bums!

Saw a couple of caecotrophs in the hutch but nothing like the day before ....... might just be coincidence as I've only just started cutting back but I feel a bit better already!

Oh and their normal poops are lovely! lol

Jo x

Excellent!! :D

Thaaaaanks ......... nipped home at lunch aaaannnddd ....... no sticky bums to be seen! :D

OK I'm not going to tell you every time there aren't any sticky bums ........ just today, because I'm giddy! lol

Back