• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weird injury - warning: includes photo - BACK FROM VETS UPDATE pg3

Squizz

Alpha Buck
I posted the other night as it appeared our housebun had sprained her front leg whilst playing in the garden. It was out of hours so we gave her some metacam and decided to just keep an eye on her. The next day she was walking on it fine so assumed all was well.

I picked her up yesterday to put her in the garden, and it felt like something was stuck in her fur. I tranced her to check it out, and she has a huge gash in her flesh in what I can only describe as the armpit area of her front leg. It almost look like her leg has been pulled so hard it has split the skin. I have tried to take some photos, but it was hard to do one handed. It is worse than the photos look.

I am taking her to the vets shortly, but has anyone seen anything like this before?? she doesn't appear to be in any pain, eating normally, grooming her partner, jumping on the furniture. I know that rabbits hide pain well, but I have seen her in pain before (she's had EC) and she doesn't hide it this well.

DSC00040-1.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00038-1.jpg

Last edited:
How strange :?
Looks very painful :(
Is it bleeding?

no not bleeding. It is so weird, she doesn't make a fuss when I go near it either, and like I said no indication that she is in any pain. Poor little bun. I have no idea how it could have happened if its an injury - I have checked the garden thouroughly and there's nothing sharp. The only thing is if she was fighting with our other rabbits through the bars and got her paw stuck in their hutch??

Omg that look's painful, look's like a tear as if she has caught her skin on something, and is it me or is that bone I can see..hope not. Oh let us know how she goes on at the vets. Hope she is ok.

Depends on the type and level of pain and bun's overall immunity to how well they hide it.

Looks like a gash or bite that has become infected, or it could even be flystrike could it not? Can you see any maggots in the wound? I would want it treating right away. Hope your bun feels better soon - it looks nasty :cry:

Looks as though she got her front leg caught in something :cry:

I suspect that'll require a GA for debriding and suturing.

Looks as though she got her front leg caught in something :cry:

I suspect that'll require a GA for debriding and suturing.

It does indeed - and that she wrenched it in panic to get away and tore the skin... and maybe even some muscle - it's quite a deep wound by the looks of things. Hope it all works out ok. :)

Depends on the type and level of pain and bun's overall immunity to how well they hide it.

Looks like a gash or bite that has become infected, or it could even be flystrike could it not? Can you see any maggots in the wound? I would want it treating right away. Hope your bun feels better soon - it looks nasty :cry:

Yeah it does look infected, I gave her some baytril as soon as I saw the state of it. I can't see any maggots, but it is hard to look properly when she's on me, hopefully when I'm at the vets with an extra pair of hands we can see better. But can you get fly strike there? I have always assumed they got it round their bums.

Poor little Martha-Moo after all her EC woes she could do without this. I HATE seeing the buns poorly.

What a mystery!
Good thing is that you've spotted it and it's getting sorter. I'm sure she'll be on the mend soon!

I have heard flystrike can happen anywhere on the body, armpits and toes too - anywhere warm and damp.

It does look more like a wrenched gash as Jane says above. She will probably need something stronger than oral baytril if it is infected but see what your vet says. She will definitely need pain relief. Good luck x

It does indeed - and that she wrenched it in panic to get away and tore the skin... and maybe even some muscle - it's quite a deep wound by the looks of things. Hope it all works out ok. :)

Its the only explanation I can think of too, makes me want to cry to think of her panicking like that. feel awful for putting her outside now!

Yes :cry:

If there is any chance, however small, that there might be Flystrike then you need to get her to a Vet now. An hour can mean the difference between life or death.

I never knew you could get fly strike anywhere :cry::cry:

Another thing I have learnt from this forum..

Good luck at the vets - looks painful :cry::cry:

I never knew you could get fly strike anywhere :cry::cry:

Another thing I have learnt from this forum..

Good luck at the vets - looks painful :cry::cry:

me neither :cry: you guys are wasted on here you should set up your own vet practice!

Good luck at the vets, I'm very squeamish but I had a look at the pics and they look painful :( she's lucky you found the wound

Back