• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advise for Jimby- Update Saturday

rachylou

Warren Veteran
For the past few days, Jimby has not been so interested in his pellets, he will eat half of them then run off and eat the rest later after I encourage him.
He has been scrabbling more than usual, he pulled the socks of the airer and picked them up, threw them around and looked like he wanted to make a bed out of them, he lunged and grunted at my sister when she was giving him a treat, he has gone off the big chunks of dandelion root which he usually loves.
I called the vets and they have booked him in for 4.55pm today but have said they can not do anything other than look at him today, but if need be can fit him in for a dental tomorrow morning, but think it is unlikely to be his teeth as he is still eating some things.
I am so worried, what if he is going in to statis again :cry:

Last edited:
The nurse did say that it could be the heat that has lowered his appitiete. :?
I am so worried about him, I was ment to be going out for lunch with my sister today but do not want to leave him so have had to let her down which I feel bad about but he comes first everythime- he is my world! :love:

Hi :wave:

Sounds like it could be teeth to me...Blackberry gets like this when she is getting close to dental time. One of the first signs that she needs her dental is that she will rush for her pellets as usual and then find she can't manage to eat them all because of painful sharp spurs.

In addition she generally becomes more bad tempered which I presume is related to her being hungry and/or in pain.

It's definately worth getting his teeth checked - the vet might be able to see some molar spurs at his appointment later but they will be able to see more under GA. In the mean time just keep persisting with the pellets (you could try mashing them with warm water to see if he will lap them up that way) and try him with his favourite veg. Keep us updated with what the vet says :)

Hi :wave:

Sounds like it could be teeth to me...Blackberry gets like this when she is getting close to dental time. One of the first signs that she needs her dental is that she will rush for her pellets as usual and then find she can't manage to eat them all because of painful sharp spurs.

In addition she generally becomes more bad tempered which I presume is related to her being hungry and/or in pain.

It's definately worth getting his teeth checked - the vet might be able to see some molar spurs at his appointment later but they will be able to see more under GA. In the mean time just keep persisting with the pellets (you could try mashing them with warm water to see if he will lap them up that way) and try him with his favourite veg. Keep us updated with what the vet says :)

Hi Katie, thank you for posting with your experience
My initial thought was teeth too, but we will see what the vet says, I wish they could do the dental today to get it out of the way otherwise I am going to be up all night stressing and keeping an eye on him.
They do not do Jimby's dentals under GA as he suffers VERY badly with his tummy and they think it will cause more harm than good so should only be done when really needed.

Please help me! Jimby has started to become even less interested in food,he only ate his veg because I forced it in his face.
He has started to tummy press and pressed his bum to the floor, his breathing also seems more rapid, I have called the vet and they said the earliest they could see him would be 2.50pm but my husband can not get home before 3.30pm and I need help getting him in the box, I can not do it alone. I am so worried, I do not know what to do for best. The vets are starting to get annoyed with me I can tell by their tone but I need to help my baby! He is hunched under a chair at the moment.

Please help me! Jimby has started to become even less interested in food,he only ate his veg because I forced it in his face.
He has started to tummy press and pressed his bum to the floor, his breathing also seems more rapid, I have called the vet and they said the earliest they could see him would be 2.50pm but my husband can not get home before 3.30pm and I need help getting him in the box, I can not do it alone. I am so worried, I do not know what to do for best. The vets are starting to get annoyed with me I can tell by their tone but I need to help my baby! He is hunched under a chair at the moment.

corner him with the open carrier he will have no option but to go in the box, plus chasing him about will help anyhows. get him in the box and get a taxi, if hes tummy pressing hes in pain and its unfair to make him wait. the vet nurses will assess him on arrival even if the vets cant see you yet, i had that once with Alvin they made sure he wasnt at deaths door (like i made them beleive over the phone ooops) and then when they was happy he could wait we sat in the waiting room till a vet became available.

First you need to stay calm. I know its hard when you are very anxious, but Jims will pick up on your anxiety. Does he have a 'base' like a cage ? If so can you get him in there and then put him in the carrier from the cage.

Failing that you just need to be firm and confident. Put the carrier on the floor. Pick Jim up and put him in. Going about it in a nervous way will make him more nervous. He is looking to you for reassurance and the best way to give that is to be confident in handling him.

I am finding it really hard to know what to do for best, he has only tummy pressed once and now just is under the chair.

First you need to stay calm. I know its hard when you are very anxious, but Jims will pick up on your anxiety. Does he have a 'base' like a cage ? If so can you get him in there and then put him in the carrier from the cage.

Failing that you just need to be firm and confident. Put the carrier on the floor. Pick Jim up and put him in. Going about it in a nervous way will make him more nervous. He is looking to you for reassurance and the best way to give that is to be confident in handling him.

I can not pick him up Jane :cry:
I am shaking, I do not know what to do!

I can not pick him up Jane :cry:
I am shaking, I do not know what to do!

i cant pick up Alvin either :oops: get him in a small space and he will go into the carrier himself if cornered. its the only way i can pick up Alvin is from the carrier so i shepherd him in. good luck

i cant pick up Alvin either :oops: get him in a small space and he will go into the carrier himself if cornered. its the only way i can pick up Alvin is from the carrier so i shepherd him in. good luck

I have got him in his cage so he is in a smaller space. But thing is he actually does not go in the case even when corner, SOMEHOW he always manages to escap!

The signs keep changing, I do not know what is wrong! He is now in his hay box eating (I am not complaining at all!) I do not know what to do, is it an emergency or not?

ooooh if hes eating leave him eating your seeing the vets tonight anyhows :wave::wave:

its the tummy pressing refusing everything even treats is when i will rush to the vets, hay eating is a good sign :D

I think he was teasing me :oops: had one strand then jumped out, went to his potty, looked like he wanted to poop but nothing came out. I have been giving him treats through the bars which he takes readily, he will not eat pellets now though. He is just laying down now and looks sad :cry: Do you think it would be a good idea to just feed him double greens today to keep things moving?

Just wanted to agree with Donna Hay eating is a very good sign, now deep breaths my darling, as Jane said he will pick up on your nerves.

Bobby the docile one of my two, goes absolutley bonkers when I am going to pieces... and yes I did cry when I first took her to the vets, it was only for a myxi jab:oops:

I know what you mean about a certain bunny being your world and Bobby is just that.. I love Carlo as well just as much, but the bond I have with Bob's IS different, and she does pick up on anxiety from me

if you can get him eating greens that would be great to get fluids into him as well as food.

does sound like the start of stasis though if he cant poop :( seen it so many times with Alvin it turns my blood cold. the sooner you can get pain relief for him the sooner he will start to recover.

I dont know what to do for best, he is has had some more herbs which he ate no problem, I have dropped some pellets in his cage and he has eaten some but not all.

I would feed veg/herbs if he will take them. Better than nothing... hope he gets sorted quickly once he gets to the vets x

Back