• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Underweight bun

xkaytix

Warren Scout
Snoopy has had stasis recently and could do with putting on a bit more weight. What can I feed him to help him put on some weight?

Keith had a stomach infection when I got him (bad pet shop) and was quite underweight. The vet recommended giving him small amounts of pineapple juice to drink- apparently it's good for their tummies but is also quite sugary so will help put in weight. He also had powdered food called supreme science recovery, you add water to it. It's basically complan for bunnies. He had two sachets over four days, and this helped him start off his weight gain.
I also switched his food from russell rabbit (what he had in the petshop) to burgess excell. He LOVES the burgess excel, and has really thrived on it. I didn't limit his food while he was underweight, and made sure he always had some in his bowl. I weighed him every other day and he put on weight quite steadily until he was back on track.

Keith had a stomach infection when I got him (bad pet shop) and was quite underweight. The vet recommended giving him small amounts of pineapple juice to drink- apparently it's good for their tummies but is also quite sugary so will help put in weight. He also had powdered food called supreme science recovery, you add water to it. It's basically complan for bunnies. He had two sachets over four days, and this helped him start off his weight gain.
I also switched his food from russell rabbit (what he had in the petshop) to burgess excell. He LOVES the burgess excel, and has really thrived on it. I didn't limit his food while he was underweight, and made sure he always had some in his bowl. I weighed him every other day and he put on weight quite steadily until he was back on track.

Oh, I have some burgess excel dwarf and jr if you want it..... I dont feed my two it any more :D

Mischa lost a bit of weight recently and was down to 1.5kg a few weeks ago so vet suggested doubling their pellets. This has worked brilliantly and he's now 1.95kg and he was 1.8kg start of the year.

it's probably not the best but Ling Jai enjoyed a little porridge twice a day until the day he left us, he absolutely loved it:)

I'm worried about giving him more pellets for 2 reasons. He doesn't really eat them anyway and if he does eat all he is supposed to for the day then he gets a poorly tum. If he has about 3/4 of his recommended daily amount he is fine. He eats LOADS of hay.

Someone else has suggested weetabix. Would that be any good? Thanks for all the advice so far!!

Personally I would not start overloading him with new foods, especially as is apparently has iffy GI tract function. Weetabix is far to high in sugar to be fed on a regular basis. Cereals designed for human consumption are very likely to cause a Rabbit gut dysbiosis and the risk is significantly increased in a Rabbit with a history of stasis etc.

What pellet feed do you give ?

Fibreplex can assist nutrient absorption

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-su...97/fibreplex-for-rabbits-small-rodents-p-1180

weetabx is not good for buns, it's loaded with sugar and salt, they'll love it but not good, even shredded wheat would be better than weetabix, but as jacks jane said not appropriate:wave:

Back