• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding questions

Foofy

Alpha Buck
I have a rescue 3yr old dutch neutered buck who is single and am hopefully getting an 11 week old dutch baby boy soon. The baby is also coming from the same rescue. Just after advice on bonding the 2 please?

The baby is very lonely and frightened as he is the last baby of the litter left. My bunny is a very lovely natured and calm boy who I think will take well to another bun and hopefully act as big brother.

I have a spare outside hutch double storey for them so will be neutral territory. I was also planning to use my spare indoor cage for the first night they are together or should I go straight for the outside one?

All advice and bondoing vibes welcome :wave:

I will also get as much advice as possible from the rescue. I have bonded 2 pairs before successfully 2 different does to the same buck but have had one failure so am a bit nervous.

I would bond them inside in the cage, or in a small, neutral space - like a small pen made from mesh cubes. From what I've read you will need to set aside a couple of days at least. It took 3 days to rebond our two males inside.

Will the young one be neutered when you get him? If not, I would wait until he is done before bonding. Some rescues will bond rabbits for you, you could ask at the rescue you are getting him from.

I found this guide useful:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

Back