• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winning her trust

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
I got mimi about 4 months ago from a rescue centre. Shed been badly treated in her previous home and as a result is very shy and doesnt like to be touched atall. She has already improved alot from when i got her and is happy to approach me and oh and doesnt mind hanging out with us now bug shes still very nervous and bolts if i try to stroke her.
Ive read alot of stories on here about buns that have turned from timid into really friendly buns and am looking for some advise on how to win her trust. I already feel bonded to her and think she loves me in her own way. Shes a gorgepus girl and i just know theres a confident friendly little madam in her somewhere, shejust needs some encouragement :love:

Rabbits are prey animals and many don't trust hands at first. Too like a predator's claws.:shock:

Might I suggest you look at the 'Rabbit Residence' website. There's information there about building up a bunny's trust in humans.

Ive never had bunnies before but when we got princess she was 16 wks and not really used to people, I just used to make sure I held my hand out and let her come to me, then when she did, Id stroke, most times shed run off, but slowly she let me do it more, then shed come up to us without putting the hand out, I also used to sit in front of her cage talking to her so she 'knew' me, she still doesnt really let me pick her up, but were getting closer, she gives me 'kisses' through the cage, and follows me everywhere :love:

I've read a few times that hand-feeding is a good way of establishing trust, whether it's their pellets or a treat. They come to associate you with something positive. Hold a few pellets out in a flat hand and see your rabbit will come for them.

I also read somewhere that -don't laugh - if you stroke them with a woollen glove on a stick it gets them used to being stroked but without the stress of a huge shape bearing over them. One of ours is ok with stroking, the other just runs off. Both will eat from your hand though, if they are hungry or it's a treat.

Bonding with your shy rabbit:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/shy.shtml

Last edited:
The main thing is patience! My last bun, Vinnie, was not only shy but a biter as well, and we eventually won her round so far that she would come and snuggle between us on the sofa. However she never liked being picked up, most rabbits don't like it and some simply won't tolerate it. Is she generally nervous or just nervous around people?

What I found most useful is for them to get used to your presence - is Mimi an outdoor or indoor bun? People tend to bond with indoor buns much faster - simply as you're there all the time. I used to read to Vinnie, and spend a lot of time in the room she was in, doing ironing, sewing etc. That way she got used to the sound of my voice and just me being around. I used to talk to her whenever I went into the room and whenever I gave her treats or let her out.

If you get down to their level it helps too, I used to lie on the floor, just lie there and eventually they get curious and come over to have a sniff. Put some treats on you, I have a rather dashing picture of me with carrot peelings on my back. :roll: That way they associate the scary hoomin with yummy nomnoms ;)

Let her come to you, but don't touch her. If you go to stroke her the minute she comes near, she'll just bolt. Keep your hands still as this is what most rabbits are scared of. Food is also a great bonding prop, try hand-feeding her, the most nervous of bunnies will come and snatch a treat. If she takes some food from you and dosen't run away, result! I've 'hidden' food in a cupped hand which makes the bun nose into your hand to get it, and at the same time they're getting a rub from you.

Once you've accomplished this you can try giving her a quick nose rub while she's eating. By nose rub I mean the section of head above her nose, I suppose you'd call it her forehead. Don't touch her actual nose! If she dosen't like it, stop, let her continue eating and try again later. Once you can give a nose rub, move onto ears, back and so on.

It can take a long time to win round a bun but the rewards are well worth it. As long as you take things at her pace and have plenty of patience you'll win her round in the end. Best of luck. :D

The main thing is patience! My last bun, Vinnie, was not only shy but a biter as well, and we eventually won her round so far that she would come and snuggle between us on the sofa. However she never liked being picked up, most rabbits don't like it and some simply won't tolerate it. Is she generally nervous or just nervous around people?

What I found most useful is for them to get used to your presence - is Mimi an outdoor or indoor bun? People tend to bond with indoor buns much faster - simply as you're there all the time. I used to read to Vinnie, and spend a lot of time in the room she was in, doing ironing, sewing etc. That way she got used to the sound of my voice and just me being around. I used to talk to her whenever I went into the room and whenever I gave her treats or let her out.

If you get down to their level it helps too, I used to lie on the floor, just lie there and eventually they get curious and come over to have a sniff. Put some treats on you, I have a rather dashing picture of me with carrot peelings on my back. :roll: That way they associate the scary hoomin with yummy nomnoms ;)

Let her come to you, but don't touch her. If you go to stroke her the minute she comes near, she'll just bolt. Keep your hands still as this is what most rabbits are scared of. Food is also a great bonding prop, try hand-feeding her, the most nervous of bunnies will come and snatch a treat. If she takes some food from you and dosen't run away, result! I've 'hidden' food in a cupped hand which makes the bun nose into your hand to get it, and at the same time they're getting a rub from you.

Once you've accomplished this you can try giving her a quick nose rub while she's eating. By nose rub I mean the section of head above her nose, I suppose you'd call it her forehead. Don't touch her actual nose! If she dosen't like it, stop, let her continue eating and try again later. Once you can give a nose rub, move onto ears, back and so on.

It can take a long time to win round a bun but the rewards are well worth it. As long as you take things at her pace and have plenty of patience you'll win her round in the end. Best of luck. :D

:thumb:

I used to lie on the floor, just lie there and eventually they get curious and come over to have a sniff.

Thats what the kids did with Princess :lol: she was a bit scared of them as kids can be like bulls in a china shop :lol: but they laid on the floor and eventually she came to them to have a sniff and soon she was climbing on them

Back