• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help - Write to Argos re Pitiful Selection of Hutches

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

As some of you will already know, RWA is putting pressure on the pet retailers with regard to the undersized accommodation that most sell, as an ongoing matter of urgency, but right now, they are trying to gain support for a problem with Argos, who of course are not pet retailers and have it seems no idea about rabbit keeping.

To quote the RWA

"The majority of the hutches on sale at Argos are under 4 feet in length - 3 of them are under 3 feet, yet desribed as allowing the rabbit 'stretch and run freely'. There is no mention of the need for an exercise run, or a companion.

We know many of you want to see Argos stop selling such small hutches, and have asked ...for a letter template, so here is the link: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/content/argos_letter_guideline.doc"

Please, please, if you want to help make a difference at the front end of rescuing and prevent buns from being bought on a whim and kept in these stupid hutches, write to Argos and tell them how you feel. Feel free to write something personal as this often has more impact on what the retailers do next.

If are not already a member of the RWA then please consider joining as the fund go to all sorts of things including the costs involved in challenging issues like this.

You can also join the RWA Facebook group and be kept up to date with the up to the minute happenings (you don't need to be a member of the RWA to do this).http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Rabbit-Welfare-Association-and-Fund/191449507147

MMC fully supports this stance from the RWA and will also be adding their weight to this issue.

Thank you.

Helen

Last edited:
What is frustrating is that I remember writing to Argos at the last attempt with them and they just don't seem to take any notice! Whereas with Tesco it worked first time. Perhaps they will listen this time?

ETA sorry that sounded rather negative. I shall write again and here's hoping this time they listen to us. :)

What is frustrating is that I remember writing to Argos at the last attempt with them and they just don't seem to take any notice! Whereas with Tesco it worked first time. Perhaps they will listen this time?

ETA sorry that sounded rather negative. I shall write again and here's hoping this time they listen to us. :)

You are quite right! It's soul destroying which is why we all need to do this.

The thing is that we all moan about retailers don't we, but most people don't put their money where their mouth is and never actually do anything to show how they feel; the retailers will carry on. People power does work so thank you for trying to write again.

Ultimately, we rescuers wouldn't be needed so much if things like this didn't happen. People thing it's cheap and easy to keep buns and when they get fed up they dump the rabbits we have to pick up the pieces, so Argos by selling cheap rubbish and undersized accommodation is actually fuelling the myth.

Helen

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I have sent them a letter. :(

I do believe that if enough people make a noise, they might reconsider - especially if they feel it will have a detrimental effect on their profits. Whatever happens, these things are worth a try.

Fingers crossed.

I just had to buy a couple of their runs this week 'suitable for 2 to 3 rabbits' ...the dimensions are (in cm) (H)75.5, (W)90, (D)92cm :( if I hadn't needed them in such a hurry I wouldn't have given them the money, but beggers can't be choosers.

I'll knock up a letter to them this evening and hopefully set my conscious straight :oops:

I emailed them a couple of days ago using their online form.

Hope they listen this time!

Did anyone ever hear back from zooplus about their dreadful tiny hutch thing? I replied to their standard response email, after my first message, but they didn't bother to respond again. Grrrr.

Done! I'm going to use it to email a place called Kennelgate too, it's a pet supplies shop that is a chain, there's one next door to vets4pets in Wakefield which we went past the other day and they've got a tiny little prison cell, sorry hutch outside thats only about 3 foot x 2 foot with a free starter pack of rabbit food, hay and a bottle so it's definitely being sold for bunnies :cry:

Their head office is:Kennelgate Ltd
Palmer Drive
Stapleford
Nottingham
NG9 7BW
T +44 (0)115 939 9077
F +44 (0)115 939 9177
E info@kennelgate.co.uk

P.S I've just had a message back from Argos saying my email was not delivered, is there another email address or a postal address i can use?

Last edited:
Done this a week ago, I await their reply. I wasn't all negative though, I said their smaller hutches would make a good hay rack! LOL

The email address wouldn't work so i used the other one given on the facebook page - the order enquiries one and i've got a reference number back which is ARG5211162X. Although it does say if its to do with a home delivery they need more details and if it is for a specific product they need the product number - i hope it ends up in the right department!

I mailed Argos last week through their website, got the automated response and ref no, but no proper reply yet!!!!

Come on folks, let's swamp them with complaints about the hutch sizes - there's power in numbers!!!!!

I got a sort of interim response from Argos by email this morning:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Rabbit Hutch specifications.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your comments regarding the RSCPA and RWAF recommended size for a rabbit hutch.

I have forwarded this information to the relevant department for consideration.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Collette Hewitt
Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

For your reference the above reply is in reference to your earlier email ARG5211162X:

I got a sort of interim response from Argos by email this morning:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Rabbit Hutch specifications.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your comments regarding the RSCPA and RWAF recommended size for a rabbit hutch.

I have forwarded this information to the relevant department for consideration.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Collette Hewitt
Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

For your reference the above reply is in reference to your earlier email ARG5211162X:

I'm still awaiting a reply!

I think, like me, a lot of people are putting off doing this. Im now reminded by the thread bumping again. I shall do it now. Can everyone else please get on board and stop being lazy (like me:lol::lol:)as its so important and we need to get on board in huge nos and no a trickle.

Can someone post what they have written to Argos? Just that I'm a bit busy today, would like to write but don't have time to construct a well thought out letter. Maybe I can pinch someone elses & tweak it a little? :)

Can someone post what they have written to Argos? Just that I'm a bit busy today, would like to write but don't have time to construct a well thought out letter. Maybe I can pinch someone elses & tweak it a little? :)

Yes, if you go back to page 1 it's got a link to a template letter in the original post :) yes we all need to get behind this, the more people who write in the more thye are going to have to listen and more importantly stop selling those crappy prison cell hutches :censored:

Back