• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit & Guinea Pig Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

We got my daughter a dwarf lop eared rabbit last year as a pet who is called Kevin, very friendly, lives outside in a very large hutch with constent access to his run.

Now before anyone tells me off, when I was younger I kept a male dutch rabbit and female guinea pig together and never had any problems at all with them, they lived together until a grand old age.

Last week we decided to get a guinea pig for a bit of company for the rabbit, we decided on a rather large 12 week male and the pet shop owner advised that a male would be better than a female and they would get on perfectlly well together.

Just as a precausion I put a small bucket on its side with some hay into the run and a up turned pot with a space cut out into the hutch to give the g.pig somewhere to hid until it got settled, all was well until a few days ago.

Kevin is constantly harrasing this poor g.pig and started to pee all over the inside of his hutch and almost act like a dog around us in the garden has started chasing our daughter??, would it help if I got both of them or at least the rabbit neutered????

Get them both castrated and seperate them into different hutches then find them friends of the same species. :wave:

Rabbits and Guinea Pigs should not be housed together.

A small list of reasons:

*Rabbits are carriers of Bordatella. While harmless to them, this is fatal to G.Pigs
*Rabbits have different dietary needs. They need a higher fibre diet while G.Pigs need added vitamin C
*Rabbits have strong back legs. When happy, they binky (flip in the air). This could break a piggies back/neck or if you are lucky, jut a limb from being kicked .
*They are two different species and do not communicate in the same way. Piggies are very vocal- a rabbit can not respond in the same manner. It would be like us living with monkeys- It is not natural!

It sounds like Kevin has hit puberty, so will definately need to be castrated as he will be feeling very sexually frustrated and may start nipping/humping you/spraying urine.

??

I did say that I have experience of keeping both species of animal together without any problems at all, I'll also point out that we have a local petting zoo in my area where rabbits and g.pigs are also housed together.

I was looking for advise not sarcasim

I did say that I have experience of keeping both species of animal together without any problems at all, I'll also point out that we have a local petting zoo in my area where rabbits and g.pigs are also housed together.

Hmmm might put a few people of replying if you respond like that.... :?

She wasn't being sarcastic? She's trying to give you GOOD advice, everyone who keeps them together say "ooh they're fine" they aren't no matter how you jusitfy it, if you don't want honest advice don't ask for it. Simple. And petting zoos are you having a laugh?! Because the welfare in those places are so high :roll: (now that was sarcasm) Please seperate the piggie and rabbit, it's not fair on either of them esp the piggie.

It's true that some people manage this fine. The trouble is when it goes wrong it goes very very wrong. Petting zoos keep them together because its cute and keeps the kids and cash flowing in. Please listen to the advice and separate them. Your rabbit has already started bullying the piggy and i'm sure that it wont take long for things to get worse and it will eventually get badly hurt. Rabbits are so much stronger and can hurt pigs without even meaning to. Your poor piggy will be very scared at the moment. I'm not having a go just telling the truth and hoping you'll listen.

I don't think you were given sarcasm.

I'm afraid that a large majority (if not all) the forum members will agree that you shouldn't keep the two species together for the reasons above. I too kept both together fine as a kid but I would never do so now because I know better. Just because your local farm does it doesn't make it right.

But in answer you your question you will definately have to get the rabbit neutered. Neutering has no behavioural effect on piggies so he would only need doing if as we have recomended you put him with a female of his own species.

Hi, welcome to the forum, please do not take offence by what starlightsrabbitrescue has said, all she is saying is that it is not adviable to house g.pigs and rabbits together, rabbits have extremely powerful back legs and as starlights said this could potentially cause very bad damage to your g.pig.
It is not a natural environment for them to be in.

??

Yes because you know exactly which petting zoo in the whole of the united kingdom I'm talking about.

Silly me for trying to get advise from a forum, where people with no job on benefits spend there time.

OH and fyi I have a job before you reply.

Yes because you know exactly which petting zoo in the whole of the united kingdom I'm talking about.

Silly me for trying to get advise from a forum, where people with no job on benefits spend there time.

I have a job too... arnt we lucky :roll:

Erm I have two thanks :roll:

What the actual hell?!? forum or not you know what you are a complete ****. People are GIVING you advice so TAKE IT you stubborn :censored: and fyi I'm a student and have a job :roll: but yes please let my dole money come running in :roll::roll:

:shock: I would really advise you to stop posting if you have nothing nice to say.
You asked for advise and you got it, you may not have LIKED the advise but then if you were not open to suggestions why bother asking in the first place?

i dont think it was sarcastic,,,:?
the local petting zoo is also wrong.....:roll:
i used to have a guinea pig and a rabbit together years ago and also people used to smoke around children years ago....over time new things are learnt and the RSPCA would advise against it too.
the spraying is marking its territory and basically saying "get out of my cage its mine!"

when i started writing a reply there were only 3 replys and when i submitted it it was on the end of page 2. OMG :lol:

I was typing a little advice then when I got back on there were loads more posts and a bit of a hissy fit :shock:

I actually did laugh out loud. I just couldn't beleive how quickly it all kicked off and how nasty her posts were :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back