• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny not eating

thebadfairy

Young Bun
Hi, I am a first time bunny owner so not really sure about my bunny's diet and I do not trust advice from pet shops! Cottontail is about 7 months old and we have had her for about 5 months, we think she is a cross between a lionhead and a mini-lop. She was very tame when we got her but has been getting even better as I have her out with me a lot of the time. A few weeks ago she started playing up and acting aggressive with my boyfriend but has always been fine with me. As the days have been getting warmer we have started taking her in the garden and she has eaten grass and dandilion leaves for the first time (she lives in our dining room). We got a hutch for free so she has been spending a bit of time in that and I also have a lead for her so she can wander round the garden which is a pretty decent size but not bunny proof as we are renting the house. On Friday night she started pulling her fur out. I know this is normal but it was quite alarming at the time as she wasn't taking it to her nest but was filling up her mouth/throat with whole handfuls. Ever since, she has barely (if at all) touched her pellets but is weeing and pooing still (though I don't think as much as before). She keeps sniffing her bowl and looks like she is going to eat but then doesn't. She also seems to be behaving differently - she is very affectionate but has also started biting our arms and legs (but not hands) and she seems very energetic like she is desperate to get out of her cage even though it is very big.
So, my questions are: how much food (pellets) should she be eating (she weighs 1218g)? Should I be worried or is it ok for her to only eat hay? Should I still give her vegetables/grass/treats? Or should I give her nothing other than pellets until she starts eating them again (like you would with kids!)

If you have managed to read all this, then thank you! Hopefully someone has had a similar experience and can help me.

Thebadfairy x x

Sounds as though she's very hormonal and ready to be spayed :)

Assuming she has had no contact with an entire Buck she is having a pseudopregnancy. This will cause all the behaviour you describe aswell as changes in her eating habbits.

Spaying her will mean a much less stressful life for her and it will also protect her against uterine cancer which effects up to 80% Does by the age of 5 years.

Hi,
thanks for your reply. We had actually just been discussing getting her spayed - is she old enough now? She has eaten a little over night. Is there something that calculates how much they should eat based on their size? Also, how many dandilion leaves can she eat a day? I think she would eat loads if given the chance! I got quite a shock the first day she had them and her wee changed colour until I noticed that the same thing had happened with my degus!

Thebadfairy x x

Hi as Jane says, assuming she has not been near a buck so not pregnant, it sound like a phantom pregnancy. She is at 7 months old enough to be speyed now. It's a good idea to find a rabbit savvy vet to spey her so you know you'll have the appropriate aftercare for her as well as the spey itself. If you post your approximate location I'm sure someone here would be able to recommend a good vet.
The main part of her diet should be hay so its great she's eating lots.
I think most people feed their buns approximately an egg cup or so or dry feed/pellets per day. If you feed alot more than this, again cut back the amount gradually rather than suddenly.( i think on many feeds a guide is on the side of the pack as to how much dry feed the should have but i'm not sure if these are really accurate as I've never paid much mind to them myself!)
Then many buns are fed some sort of greens/grass/veg daily. I think its a bit open to debate how much should be fed but certainly a few dandelion leaves a day is ok for her, along with perhaps some grass, herbs, maybe greens or a little carrot but as with any food she's not had before it sould be given in small amounts and then watch for any potential adverse reaction.
I hope that helps!

ETA: Oops so sorry read again that she's eating lots of hay. I think thats ok, and she will eat pellets again in her own time once she gets over the phantom.

Last edited:
Hello fellow fairy!

Thanks for your advice. She has not been near any rabbits since we got her, only the degus (briefly as they tried to groom her nose and she wasn't impressed!)
I'm in Worcester if anyone knows of a good vet, otherwise I will start ringing round next week. What kind of thing should I be asking? Will she need a carry case to go? Whenever we go away, I just carry her wrapped in a baby blanket and she lies on my lap in the car (yes she is spoilt!)
She has eaten about a egg cup full today so I guess I was giving her too much before though she always finished it and has barely grown since we got her. She has also eaten a one centimeter thick slice of carrot (wouldn't take it out of my hand like normal but did eat it when she thought I wasn't looking), a little ball of porridge oats mixed with a few drops of water to make it solid (a treat I give the degus but made a bit too much so tried her with a bit too!) and she had a nibble on some grass and dandilion leaves in the garden. I guess she is feeling a bit better!
Something else I have noticed is that she keeps searching around her cage - is she looking for babies?

Thanks
Thebadfairy x x

Back