• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spray Operations tomorrow

BunnymadBunny

Young Bun
My three bunnies are going in for their spray tomorrow.
I am absolutely petrified, I know it needs to be done.
I have made provisions for them to be indoors while they recover. I have never done this before.
Any advise is seriously welcome, I have booked the day off work to be around incase im needed. Not sure what else I can do, my biggest fears are if they pick anything up at the vets or they pull out their stitches.
What can I expect?
Thanks

Felicity

My three bunnies are going in for their spray tomorrow.
I am absolutely petrified, I know it needs to be done.
I have made provisions for them to be indoors while they recover. I have never done this before.
Any advise is seriously welcome, I have booked the day off work to be around incase im needed. Not sure what else I can do, my biggest fears are if they pick anything up at the vets or they pull out their stitches.
What can I expect?
Thanks

Felicity

Hi!:)
Hope it all goes well - Mine are due theirs in a few months itme & im nervous already!:lol: BUT Ive read on here in diff thread a few bits baout being spayed - Im sure some folks will come to the rescue with lots of reassurance!

I know one bun that got done had dissolveable stitches - which i thought was reat as they dont generally pull them out...also something soft & not scratcy to lie on and also make sure they dont have to jump into a litter tray or anything highish whilst they heal.

eeeekkk! sorry not much help! Sending you & the buns good vibes!
Ask baout food maybe - can you give them the norm etc.....:?

good luck! :)

Just have somewhere calm they can relax in without noise or traffic coming past them. Also make sure they can't jump anywhere as this might hurt their stitches.

Make sure you have lots of their favourite treats, fresh grass or whatever they really like as you have to make sure they start eating again. If they haven't eaten within 24hrs you need to take them back to the vet where they should at least get a further pain killer. Ask your vet before the operation what type of pain killer they will give and whether you can take some additional pain killer to administer at home.

We had our foster bunny spayed about 3 weeks ago. The stitches were only done internal and dissolvable and then the skin was "glued" so there was no evidence of stitches for her to pull out (I don't know if this is how all vets do it). She has recovered well. We did keep her inside for a couple of nights.

We made sure she was warm, had pain killer when required and lots of different foods to tempt her to eat. She was given bedding where she did not have to jump in and our and also on fleece blankets, as we did not want hay sticking into her wound.

Oh, and lots of nose rubs helped her get better.

Thanks for the replies, they have actually helped me quite a lot.
I have been out and got some different types of hay and some nice rabbit treats to encourage them to eat.
I am also going to speak to the vet about the pain killers and about using invisible stitches.
I have a fleecey blanket I can use and cut up between the three.

Hopefully it will be alright - sorry I can't say the same for my bank balance!

Felicity

Vibes for your bunnies for tomorrow. Hope it all goes well.

Sorry I have no further advice to give as my bunnies were all neutered before I got them.

But really hope all goes well and they recover well. x

Totally know how you feel, my Jack had her op last week and has made a full recovery!! She had stitches inside and they glued her wound together so we had no fear of her pulling at her stitches.
All I can suggest is something comfy to lie on like a fleecy blanket or bed. When we got Jack home we left her for a few hours just to chill out and get over the shock, she didn't really eat much that night but the next day she ate alot better.
With Jack she pooed and peed right away but I know some buns don;t do this so you have to watch that they do.
Good luck vibes coming your way, try not to worry to much. Easier said than done I know, if your like me you will be in tears lol. Massive hugs for you xxx

I have a very bad case of nerves this morning and I have been awake very early.
I seriously can't wait for this to be over, it's one of the scariest things ever!
I have taken sick animals for operations but this is a choice operation.
Keep telling myself it is better for them in the long run.
They can live cancer free and have bunny friends.

I can't wait till they are all together running around in the summer

Better get buns ready.

Felicity

Rabbits are home and weird results.

First rabbit (honeybee) is fine. Normal spray.

Second rabbit (hazelnut) had nothing there? Also had a small slightly formed penis. Vet said my rabbit is not a boy or a girl? Really confused. Help?????

Third rabbit (bluebell) had cancer there and they took it out, vet said it didn't look like it had spread.
What are her chances? She has not shown any symptoms or anything - I took her on when she was 3 and a half.
She had to loose weight before the op, shes about four now.
Really scared about this.

aaawwwww mine had theres last thursday....the night they were home they shook a lot and I thought they were fitting but all is good apart from they had their first fight today which before being done they got on so well and now are grunting and fighting....yes I know what you mean about the bank balance we just spent £200 on ours on ops and a nice new chicken coop for them to hop around in with shelter off the ground.....all the best for the bunnies just keep checking on them all the time...within 3 days you will have forgotten it all and they will be back to normal eating all your food LOL xxx

First rabbit (honeybee) is fine. Normal spray.

Second rabbit (hazelnut) had nothing there? Also had a small slightly formed penis. Vet said my rabbit is not a boy or a girl? Really confused. Help?????

Third rabbit (bluebell) had cancer there and they took it out, vet said it didn't look like it had spread.
What are her chances? She has not shown any symptoms or anything - I took her on when she was 3 and a half.
She had to loose weight before the op, shes about four now.
Really scared about this.

Honeybee - glad it went well and straight forward.
Hazelnut - I think I have read something like this on here before. Maybe if you post something in rabbit chat more specific someone may be able to share their experience (I don't think it causes problems)
Bluebell - hopefully you have caught before it has spread any further. By having her spayed you have given her the best possible chance. Fingers and paws crossed that she is with you a lot, lot longer. No one can predict so just enjoy your time with her.

I hope they are all recovering well.

Back