• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ureta/Urethra Stones EXPERIENCES and ANSWER to anatomical question please!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Damson has a small fragment of a kidney stone which has broken away and is travelling down from his kidney.

SEE http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222055

I mistakenly posted that it was in his urethra but actually it is at present in his ureta (the bit between the kidney and the bladder).

So far it has moved 6cms from the kidney (2cms in the last 36 hrs) and has about 2cm to go to the bladder and then into the urethra. After a shaky start as it started its progression he is doing remarkably well on fluids, valium and bupronorphin.

My vet yesterday seemed to think that it was the ureta bit that was the most painful and that if it got as far as the bladder it may just come out in wee - painfully but not as painfully as so far.

Today I saw a vet I don't usually see (as all others on hols) and she seemed to feel that the passage through the urethra may be the problem not the ureta.

Reading on this seems to suggest that stones can sometimes actually obstruct the uretha BUT these may be large ones that have originated in the bladder - rather than come down the ureta.

My Question is . .

Does anyone know what is smaller the ureta or the urethra????

Last edited:
Damson has a small fragment of a kidney stone which has broken away and is travelling down from his kidney.

SEE http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222055

I mistakenly posted that it was in his urethra but actually it is at present in his ureta (the bit between the kidney and the bladder).

So far it has moved 6cms from the kidney (2cms in the last 36 hrs) and has about 2cm to go to the bladder and then into the urethra. After a shaky start as it started its progression he is doing remarkably well on fluids, valium and bupronorphin.

My vet yesterday seemed to think that it was the ureta bit that was the most painful and that if it got as far as the bladder it may just come out in wee - painfully but not as painfully as so far.

Today I saw a vet I don't usually see (as all others on hols) and she seemed to feel that the passage through the urethra may be the problem not the ureta.

Reading on this seems to suggest that stones can sometimes actually obstruct the uretha BUT these may be large ones that have originated in the bladder - rather than come down the ureta.

My Question is . .

Does anyone know what is smaller the ureta or the uretha????

I believe the urethra is smaller but not 100%, that's not very helpful is it. Oh dear. I had a knot in my ureta and had it taken out, undone and put back in again so my kidneys got going again. So I know just how your poor bun is feeling right now and yes the vet is right, it's :censored: painful :cry:

By the way the fragment which has broken off and is making its way down is about the size of a pin head - perhaps a small one of those dressmakers posh pins with glass heads!.

The main 'stone' or area of calcified material thats still in the kidney is about the size of . . . .thinks for ages . . . . . a very small petit pois pea or an apple pip . . . well maybe an orange pip . . . So not huge in coparison to some of the stones that are on web pages about this!!! But they are mostly bladder stones I think.

They want to x-ray again Saturday am to check progression again . . . nice to feel they are hetting so much use from the x-ray machine. Suspect I am more or less buying it for them on instalments!!!!:shock::shock::shock:

AFAIK the Urethra is larger in dimension :?

I think the problem arises if the size of the stone exceeds the dimension of either the Ureta or Urethra in its relaxed state. In humans if this is the case surgical intervention is the only option.

ETA A diagram of the HUMAN Male Bladder and Urethra

http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/HumanBody/Urinary/Urinary_Bladder_Urethra_Male.php

Ooohhhh:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: that was a bit of an embarrassing website page!!!! Good job it didn't have its skin on:shock: But you are right - in humans the ureta (or is it ureter???) seems a lot smaller than the urethra. Shame there is no euqivalent website for a rabbit ureter/urethra and I cannot find find one in FHB - just x-rays which are not clear on this subject.

Back