• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny-sitting

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hi all

I wonder if you can help. I'm currently bunny sitting as my boss wanted to get rid of their rabbit (his wife has had an op and can no longer care for it) and my step-daughter wanted a rabbit!

So, the rabbit is with me at the moment until we can get over to step-daughter's (its a 2 hr drive and the van which we'll need to take the hutch/run etc over is currently kaput).

She's ever such a sweet thing but I can't tell if she's meant to be the size she is or if she's a bit of a chubster! Also, she's on her own and has no toys in her hutch, I feel really sorry for her as I'm out at work all day and she must be bored silly! So, please could you advise on what sorts of toys I could get for her and also if its safe to put a rabbit in its run (its about 8ft by 6ft with a covered area for shelter) and leave it there unattended?!?!

I've got sawdust, hay, food and some rabbit treats for her but other than that (and fresh veggies of course), is there anything I'm missing? I change her water every day but haven't yet caught her actually drinking ....... but then she has only been with us since Tuesday evening.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated ....... I'm new to all this.

Thanks

Jo & Mitzy

PS/ How do I attach a pic of her?

Hiya!!:wave:
Welcome to the forum...and youve come to the right place!!
Theres alot of info on here about putting pics up....if you look at the top of the page you will see FAQ and stuff.
You can give bunny toilet roll carboard and stuff it with hay, wicker balls you can get from pet shops, cardboard boxes are great for digging and chewing,the list is endless....hopefully others will come forth!!
Is the bunny speyed?? This will help with temperament and prevent nasty infections.
A friend will be nice, ie a neutered man bunny....and if you can, try and find a bunny savvy vet who can vaccinate her against Myximytosis as the season is upon us.Another vacc is VHD.Always a good idea.
Its not a good idea to leave bunny unattended in a run, no matter how large.Cats and foxes and digging out......a bunnies natural behaviour.
Is she gonna be a house bunny or in a hutch??
Hope ive helped a bit...xxxx

sawdust is not good for rabbits as it can cause respiratory problems-woodchips are better than sawdust, though many people use newspaper in litter trays, topped with hay.
Offer her a small heavy(so doesnt get knocked over) bowl of water as well as a bottle, in case she is used to one or the other.
stuff a bit of kitchen roll (or loo roll) inner with hay for an instant toy. Put a piece of carrot in the middle for added interest.

Opinion varies with runs- you would need foxproof mesh and lockable aperatures-also some slabs under perimeter to deter bun from digging out or foxes digging in. Bun also needs somewhere in the run to hide- even if just a cardboard box as buns can easily be frightened by cats dogs etc.Also food and water and hay of course. The run should be heavy enough that it can't be easily lifted up(people do sometimes steal bunnies). If your not sure then don't leave the bun. As long as the bunny gets a run when you're home they will be ok for now-better to be safe than sorry.

Well done for taking the bunny on :)-sue:wave:

(our run was physically attached to the house wall and we laid a patio beneath the turf which extended outside the perimeter.The run was half-roofed with corrugated plastic for shelter/shade half roofed with mesh. The buns had permanent access via a tiny door
door to the house) The run also had locks ad was very heavy. The whole run was foxproof mesh. We did leave our buns in there)

Last edited:
Is she spayed? if not then please get her spayed.
She sounds lonely.. maybe another bunny friend? Many Rescues have rabbits in which you could take a look at? Please dont buy one from a shop or breeder :(

Also.. what food are you feeding her?
Pellets are best, either science selective or Excell.

She's ever such a sweet thing but I can't tell if she's meant to be the size she is or if she's a bit of a chubster!

I always think of bunnies a bit like cats. They are supposed to be a bit on the sleek side. If you stroke her quite firmly you should be able to just feel her ribs under a layer of muscle. If you can't she might be overweight.

Thanks for all your help everyone, much appreciated.

I've made her a few toys, and she's been out in her run etc. I gave her a wicker ball that she spends hours throwing round her hutch ... bless! lol

I checked with OH and he said that what we have isn't sawdust ... its wood chippings! So that's ok.

I have no idea if she's speyed and I do think its a bit mean just having one as I'm out at work all day so she must get lonely ..........but obviously as I'm only bunny sitting for a couple of weeks and not keeping her permanently its not really my call.

I'll try the stroking tonight, I've stroked her head and back softly but never firmly and felt properly for ribs etc.

She came with a bottle attached to her hutch so I've just been using that but I've now also put a bowl of water in as well .... although I've never actually seen her use either.

Do I need to brush her regularly? There's a brush with all her stuff as well but I've no idea how often it needs doing.

I was feeding her bunny crunch that seems to have pellets and veg and all sorts in, I also have some excel pellets so have been mixing that in ..... am I best with just pure pellets then rather than the mixture? Also I've been giving her a handful of salad leaves each day and she seems to like banana too so I've been giving her a small amount of that every couple of days.

A friend of mine feeds her rabbit toast now and again!?!? Is this ok for them!?!?! I wouldn't have thought toast was part of a normal rabbits diet!?!?

Thanks again, Jo x

Last edited:
Back