• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just lost one of my bunnies

lapin

Young Bun
One of my bunnies died yesterday. It was very sudden, she was eating in the morning and I found her later slumped over the side of her litter tray. I guess she collapsed while sitting in it. I could hear movement with the litter tray a little while before I found her but I thought they were just pushing it, something they often do to get my attention. Now I'm wondering if she was having a seizure or something. She was still alive when I found her, although I think she'd already died by the time I left for the vet's. The vet said it was probably a heart attack. She was only about three. I've read that rabbits can live to about ten but all three of mine that have died have been around three and have died suddenly with no apparent illness.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I try to give my bunnies the best care, good quality hay etc. They were due for their vaccinations, so now I'm wondering if it was VHD and if it might not have happened if they'd been vaccinated last week. I know it won't change anything but I feel guilty and I'm worried about my other bunny. They'd been together for two years, he must be wondering where she is. I have another single bunny, a female, and I was thinking about trying to bond them. Would it be too soon? Should I wait a little while before trying? I don't want my bunny to be lonely.

Sorry for the long post, it's just been a bit of a shock.

hi there first off so sorry for your loss, i am sure you do everything to ensure your pets happiness and welfare, while it could have been vhd it is unlikley if she had previously been vaccinated and was only just up for renewal,
regarding bonding your other bun as long as both are neutered and bonding takes place in a neutral area you could giv eit a try dora stopped eating when her partner went missing and she was rebonded(and eating as soon as she met him ) about 2weeks later, i felt awful for taking on another bun so soon but it was the right thing for dora nad we wouldnt be without arthur now he is such a cutie!!!:) some buns need mroe time to grieve than others, the only way you would know the cause of death is a pm, to be on safe side you could clean and disinfect the whole living area of your bunnys and do ensure the other rabbits vaccinations for both myxi and vhd are up to date. thinking of you at this sad time xxx

Hi, thanks for replying. I will book my other bunnies in for vaccinations this week, as they were due for renewal anyway and I'm not taking any chances. I can't stop thinking that it could have been VHD, it would be awful if it was something I could have prevented. I'll see how my bunny is this week and maybe try bonding him with the female, it's so sad to see him in the hutch by himself.

Sorry to hear about your bunny going missing, it must have been awful for you. xx

Hi, thanks for replying. I will book my other bunnies in for vaccinations this week, as they were due for renewal anyway and I'm not taking any chances. I can't stop thinking that it could have been VHD, it would be awful if it was something I could have prevented. I'll see how my bunny is this week and maybe try bonding him with the female, it's so sad to see him in the hutch by himself.

Sorry to hear about your bunny going missing, it must have been awful for you. xx

it was 2years back now when she went missing....and we have since found she is living locally someone took her in so though i miss her lots i at least know she is relativly safe. i hope your remianing bunsa re ok dont beat yourself up it is highly unlikley that it was vhd as it was his annual booster. thinking of you x

So sorry for your loss. I am sure it is nothing that you could have prevented.
Wish you lots of luck with the bonding of your other two.
x

So sorry for your loss

Were your buns related in any way? Heart disease can run in families (bad breeding) & some breeds seem more prone to heart problems - rexes/giants

If your buns are neutered/spayed, I would bond them on neutral territory. Good luck:D

So sorry for your loss

Were your buns related in any way? Heart disease can run in families (bad breeding) & some breeds seem more prone to heart problems - rexes/giants

If your buns are neutered/spayed, I would bond them on neutral territory. Good luck:D

None of my bunnies have been related. My first was a large lop, then I had a bunny who had been abandoned in a box in a car park (I only had him for two weeks, think he may have been ill already), now this bunny is a lionhead. I haven't had any warning with any of them, left them all eating hay and came back to find they had died. It's horrible, wish there was something I could have done.

Hi Lapin

Im so sorry to hear of your loss, My thoughts are with you and Please,if your anything like me, you would have done your utmost in the welfare and care of your bunnies so please don't feel guilty.

I hope your new bonding goes well and hope to hear some good news on that front soon.

Good Luck hun,

ElectricRain

Back