• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay/Feeding help!

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I am relatively new to this bunny mummy lark. I obviously understand the importance of bunnies having lots and lots of hay. However, my bunnies don't seem overly excited by it?

At the moment I've got timothy hay in a rack. Although it hardly ever goes down (I replace it every day) and then standard hay just for bedding because that's what the guineas have.

Leo has a munch on his bedding but not the timothy and Archie hardly ever. I'm not overly happy with Leo eating his bedding because it doesn't seem that hygienic? I could just be being really paranoid?

What would you suggest? Should I just scatter feed and let them rummage around? What do you do? I just want to excite them a bit more than just giving them their pellets and veg in a bowl. I want to make them work for it a little bit and obviously getting them eating an all round diet. Any ideas would be good! Thankyouuuuuuu. :D

It could well be that they are getting too much of other types of food, eg... pellets and veg?
It is best to really limit the pellets as otherwise they will just fill up on them and then they will not eat their hay.
Eating the bedding is not a problem as long as it is just hay.
Some buns are quite lazy and will not bother to reach up and eat out of a hay rack, the best thing do do is, if you have the room fill up a small litter tray with hay or like you said scatter it around and let them rummage.

How many pellets and veggies are you giving them. Have you tried normal meadow farm hay. Some buns don't like timothy hay.

About 1/8 of a cup of pellets ... although with Leo (the one who eats a bit of hay) I have to give him more due to the fact he was fed on muesli before I got him. I'm trying to introduce him to pellets but it's hard going at the moment. He's very fussy and only picks out the seeds leaving at least 2/3 of the bowl :roll: The vets put him on Bi-Lapis to see if that helps at all.

Then about a handfull of greens :)

Back