• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate

Sukibus

Young Bun
Hi people.

I have a female Netherlands dwarf who is about 7 months old. She lives indoor so I don't know whether it is necessary to get her vaccinated or not.

any advice would be good :)

Yes most definitely. Myxi/VHD can both be airborne as well as spread by contact.

All buns, including house buns, should be vaccinated.

VHD is an airbourne virus but can be carried on you or on your clothing so she still at risk indoors or out. myxi is spread biting insects (mosquitoes, fleas) so even if she is a house bun i would get her vacinated

How much do these vaccines cost generally? Just asking as I need to get my buns done. 2 had theirs before we got them but I need to make sure they are kept up to date.

vaccinations vary vet to vet some vets will give discounts on multiple bunnies or if you purchess the myxi and vhd together, the cost varies per injectio nfrom £15-£25 usually.
vhd is an annual vaccination and Myxi is given every 6 months the vaccinations must be given a minimum of 2 weeks apart and I would allow a minimum of 2weeks between vaccination and any other operation etc. like spay/neuter as it can knock the immune system,, Myxi injection should be given 10% into skin(done one of two ways either into skin in back of neck then push deeper for rest or 10% in ear adn rest in scruff)
this is essential to its effectiveness if you think the 10% was not done correctly this can be done again at a later date(just the 10% part)

also a full health check should be given before the vaccination and buns should only be vaccinated in full health .
vhd has 2 types of vaccination the cyclap has more known side affects than lapinject.

also be aware that vhd vaccinatio noffers full immunity from vhd but myxi injectio nonly lessens the risk this measn should your rabbit contract myxi during its vaccinated time then it will only get nodular form which can be treated and has a much higher survival rate than full blown myxi.

hope this helps xxx

I lost 2 buns to myxi last year, & I have one still fighting. They were all vaccinated & indoors, so U would get yours vacs to give them a fighting chance:D

Yep, Squidgy is an indoor bunny, but he still gets his myxo jab every 6 months and VHD every year. It's worth noting as well that a good bunny boarding place will require the bunnies to be vaccinated.

I have always had the myxi jab done once a year at the begining of spring, the first time around it was followed up 6 months later, this was what the vet told me was how it has to be done:? I have never had VHD jab done, but will ask for it this year:D

Back