• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

140 cage

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
hi all just wanted to know i have a 140 indoor cage would this be suitable for a dwarf rabbit and would i be able to have 2 in it they will have a big outdoor run aswell thanx xxx

They would need a permanent area outside of the cage where they could exercise too. eg using some kind of pen or enclosure. I wouldn't use the 140 to lock them in overnight, this would be too small.

it could be used as a base but they could never be shut in a space that small. so would need an attached run/pen.

they can go outside in the run but if they are house buns they wouldn't beable to go out in cold weather as the temperature change would be too much for them and can cause problems. :wave:

Hi and welcome:wave:

I can't say I know what a 140 cage is - unless its one of those plastic indoor cages that is 140cm long?

It is generally best to keep two rabbits together for company - one of each sex (neutered of course) although other combinations can work.

Rabbits need lots of space - for an outdoor set-up for 1 or 2 rabbits it is recommended that they have at least a 6' x 2' x 2' hutch with a permenantly attatched run - I would say 6' x 6' minimum. Many people find it more economical to use a shed or wendy house with a run attatched.

For indoor rabbits a dog crate, with extra levels added, can make a good base within a "bunny proofed" spare room where the buns can have freerange or with a large "playpen" attatched for safe play while they are alone (while you are out or in bed) along with supervised freerangetime in a larger "bunny proofed" area - say a kitchen/lounge or hall area.

Your cage may be suitable for a base but it would need to be within a larger area that the buns can have access to 24/7.

Because of the temperature differences I would say that during the Autumn and Winter it is not an option to have a rabbit indoors and take it out in the garden for time in a run. Indoor buns enjoy some time on the grass but this would have to wait until the spring at least.

Have you had a look at your local rescue for suitable buns needing homes? They come in every shape, size and colour and are usually neutered, vaccinated and often in happily bonded pairs so all the hard work is done for you. A rescue would also help with advising you on a suitable set-up.

Hope this helps!

I've got 2 guinea pigs in one of those 140 cm cages. I'm afraid they aren't suitable for bunnies, in my view - they need much more space.

I've got a trixie rabbit 150 for two guinea pigs and it still doesn't look that big to me. I wouldn't keep rabbits, even dwarf ones, in one so a 140 cage would be too small in my opinion.

Back