• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nose Problem

Edward Hawkins

Warren Scout
One of my rabbits, which is now just over 3 months old, devoped a sore nose over a week ago. She also makes a snorting/sneezing sound and washes and rubs her nose. She has been treated at the vet, using Baytril, which had no effect. She has now started on a course of injections, using human medications. Looking at some previous posts I think that she may have syphilis. I have spoken to the breeder who thinks it may be caused by a change in temperature. She says she has had several rabbits with this problem, and is treating one at the moment. She uses Liverine Unction. I have attached a picture, which I took yesterday, and would appreciate any opinions.
Bubble.jpg

Looks like it could be syphyllis to me. Especially if the breeder has seen lots of it - it is passed on through contact and when the mother gives birth.

I would suspect syphilis, and probably snuffles as well. Hopefully the injections should clear up the sore, but the breeder really shouldn't be mating affected rabbits. She should be taking them to the vet for treatment......:?

Last edited:
Sorry I don't know, but I just squeaked with excitement when I saw her little face - beautiful bunny! Hope she feels better soon, and can we have some more pics please.

You could get your vet to try Depocillin as this is the antibiotic used for syphallis. Your vet could also do with doing a swab from the nose and send it away for testing. If the breeder is treating a rabbit for a similar condition then she should be breeding from it as it is contagous if it is sphyllis and even if it is snuffles then again she shouldn't be breeding from it also.

uti

One of my rabbits, which is now just over 3 months old, devoped a sore nose over a week ago. She also makes a snorting/sneezing sound and washes and rubs her nose. She has been treated at the vet, using Baytril, which had no effect. She has now started on a course of injections, using human medications. Looking at some previous posts I think that she may have syphilis. I have spoken to the breeder who thinks it may be caused by a change in temperature. She says she has had several rabbits with this problem, and is treating one at the moment. She uses Liverine Unction. I have attached a picture, which I took yesterday, and would appreciate any opinions.
Bubble.jpg

nasal culture required to determine coarse of action,treatment/antibiotics,etc...upper resiratory infection,,when giving any antibiotics offer probiotics--keep the gi tract in check...james waller

ah, i just posted on your other thread. i thought they looked like they had an uri on the other thread.

stupid breeder :evil::evil::evil: letting them go at 4 weeks and still breeding from poorly rabbits. :evil::evil::evil:

eta: i used to use woodshavings and they turned out to be what flared matts eyes up alot. they are also bad for them. maybe changing to something else would help. just newspaper and hay perhaps?

she's gorgeous - a baby eric:love:

eric had a very similar problem not long after he came to me. he was originally treated with baytril for pasteurella but that had no effect and the scabbing around his nose became so bad that he had trouble eating and was obviously in a lot of pain and discomfort.

i found a new vet - just in time - and he had surgery to remove the scabbing (and part of his nose), a tear duct flush and anti biotic injections every other day for a while. he didn't have any genital scabbing tho. does your bun?

syphillis was suspected by my good vet so she began treatment straight away for it (even before tests were done as he really was poorly). fortunately for us, it worked:)

please get her checked and tested by a good vet before it gets worse.

(she was only 4 weeks old when she came to you?:shock::evil:)

I have spoken to the breeder who thinks it may be caused by a change in temperature. She says she has had several rabbits with this problem, and is treating one at the moment. She uses Liverine Unction.
Bubble.jpg

OOOOOOO what a stupid breeder! has several rabbits with it its got to be vent disease aka syphillis, its discusting If they are BRC registarted I would call them up and report them possible call the RSPCA too this person should not be breeding from these rabbits :censored: what is it with some people Its people like this that give breeders a bad name.
I really hope you bun improves, I would also be asking for a refund for the rabbit and possible costs for vet treatment that you've paid, I would be stating i'm really not happy! Poor Poor bun just think of the other siblings that may not be as lucky to have someone take them to the vet. Appauling :evil:

Last edited:
OOOOOOO what a stupid breeder! has several rabbits with it its got to be vent disease aka syphillis, its discusting If they are BRC registarted I would call them up and report them possible call the RSPCA too this person should not be breeding from these rabbits :censored: what is it with some people Its people like this that give breeders a bad name.
I really hope you bun improves, I would also be asking for a refund for the rabbit and possible costs for vet treatment that you've paid, I would be stating i'm really not happy! Poor Poor bun just think of the other siblings that may not be as lucky to have someone take them to the vet. Appauling :evil:

Well said

Back