• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drugs/meds And What To Keep In

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Further to my other thread re: stasis and the fact that I thought I was snowed in this morning and there was no way I would get to vets 8 miles away (which I did just about!), I was wondering if people keep certain medications in at home, 'just in case', e.g. things like Maxolon which obviously is better, the quicker you use it. I would never use anything without talking to somebody first, but wouldn't it be good to have this stuff to hand?

I only keeps things like critical care, biolapis, avipro, syringes. I don't believe the vets will give you prescription only drugs just in case. I have also go some fibreplex. I get most of my stuff from www.vetuk.co.uk

Me too.

I also have a couple of jars of fruit and veg baby food and some porridge oats in, both of which seem to help tempt Muppet to eat. (The oats more than the baby food though.)

Most of the meds you need are POM's, so a visit to the vets would be necessary if you had a definate case of stasis.

For emergencies it's always useful to have Infacol or gripe water - I find these are useful if you spot the signs early and treat early before it gets too painful for them.
The most important meds you need if things progress are pain relief, and that would be a trip to the vets.
It's useful to have Critical Care in, and pureed baby food in case you need to syringe feed, but you can only do this after the vet has ruled out a blockage.

Oh thanks for the replies. I have a young baby, so have quite a few of those things in anyway lol. It's useful to have something in.

Sorry to ask so many questions - but what sort of herbal tea would you recommend - peppermint? Thanks.

Back