• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your rabbits live side by side and NOT have referred aggression? U/D Post 29

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:wave: Im wondering if other people can successfully keep their bunnies together - Due to space etc I really need Charlie to go upstairs next to the other 2 - are there instances where this would work?

My OH and I compromised (as me and bunnies were taking over the whole house ;)) where I would have the spare room and he would have the dining room for all his bits - his hobbies is making things, models etc. At the moment its really difficult as Charlie is in the dining room and I have to be careful when I let him out as there are bits everywhere!!

He would have soo much more room upstairs (all of upstairs) Im worried about referred aggression whether its going to upset my other 2 or him being back next to the other 2 - I will make it so he cant see them - but smell etc is different?? If I let him out then the other 2 seperately but will he have marked everything - Im hoping there are stories where this has worked for people.

Hellllp

Help and thoughts pls

Last edited:
I have 3 bun rooms (only 2 in use:cry:), & they are split into sections. There are wooden partitions, but some have "windows" & mesh over (an unfortunate chewing incident:roll::lol:). Never had a problem with referrred aggression, except the day I walked through with an un-neutered male. All hell broke loose:oops::roll:

It can work, but depends on the rabbits. You could always try it and see. The biggest problem will be that the pair have already claimed the territory as theirs which could cause trouble.

You may have more success bonding all 3 somewhere neutral, then putting them all back upstairs together, after thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the area.

I had more problems with refered aggression when we had a few house bunnies. Now that we have lots and they change regularly no-one takes any notice of the others as they are use to having lots of different bunny smells around them. The only one that causes a problem is Dinky, I think she would happily take the head off any rabbit that comes near her :lol: But as she is single there are no refered aggression problems :)

I have two pairs outside with hal the garden each. They can't see each other but can sometimes smell each other and I do have problems with referred aggression when I let them out to exercise as this is when they can sniff each other on the other side of the partition.

At my parents on a night time, Lola & Max are in their base connected to an extension, right beside Jemimah & Brian. There is absolutely zero referred agression, They don't even bite each other through the bars, they actually get on really well if I'm honest. :shock:

petal lives beside ted and theo, she can see them but not touch. it's was hard work at the start but it's slowly dying off. they get used to it.

I currently have Dixie and Scamp inside, Scamp is in a puppy pen and Dixie has free range :) Theres no referred agression at all.

I have found perviously, when ive had pairs of foster buns and then a single bun indoors, the pairs sometimes fight. I think it really depends on the individual bunny.

Is Charlie going to be bonded with Sooty and Oreo eventually :? I think you'll just have to try and see how it goes to make sure the pair dont fight :) xXx

I currently have Dixie and Scamp inside, Scamp is in a puppy pen and Dixie has free range :) Theres no referred agression at all.

I have found perviously, when ive had pairs of foster buns and then a single bun indoors, the pairs sometimes fight. I think it really depends on the individual bunny.

Is Charlie going to be bonded with Sooty and Oreo eventually :? I think you'll just have to try and see how it goes to make sure the pair dont fight :) xXx

Im still really dont know what to do...for now I will keep him on his own - but I do feel sorry for him :cry: the problem now is - (all other problems aside) - if I did take on another girl bun for charlie then they will have to bond as I wont have room for a pair and 2 singles in the spare room :? and a new bun might upset the pair too, they are kind of used to Charlie now so he may not upset them too much.
I think if I can try them side by side then try him again with the pair might be the best idea? What do you think?
argghh all complicated..

Im still really dont know what to do...for now I will keep him on his own - but I do feel sorry for him :cry: the problem now is - (all other problems aside) - if I did take on another girl bun for charlie then they will have to bond as I wont have room for a pair and 2 singles in the spare room :? and a new bun might upset the pair too, they are kind of used to Charlie now so he may not upset them too much.
I think if I can try them side by side then try him again with the pair might be the best idea? What do you think?
argghh all complicated..

If i was you, i would try Charlie with the pair first before getting another bun :) This way, even if it fails, at least you will know you've tried :) I'd too be like you, bunnies can be a nightmare sometimes :lol::lol: xXx

:wave: Hi Kath, I think if it were me (what I would do) is move him into the room in his own pen - case of having to I think in fairness and practicality to OH and spend as much time as poss interacting with all of them. Just watch out for any nose nipping etc, I would give him some time to settle down and continue to bond and then I would give Charlie to a rescue to be bonded with a lady bun, I would then have the two pairs with view to bonding as a 4 but, would bring in the rescue to assist me. Thats just what I would do. I think it may cause problems with the existing duo personally and I from Oreo's point of view will be quite stressful as Sooty is now his woman. Ultimately you are the only one who can decide though, best of luck Kath x

Last edited:
I have my 2 pairs living in my bunny room in 2 separate nic grids set ups, the set ups are about a foot apart but they can still see each other. They're fine with this, untill i start talking to or fussing one of the pairs, then the other pair gets jealous and starts running about - Jose especially - she starts chasing Rainbow around the pen :roll:

Paddy and Peaches jumped out of their pen the other day (it's now covered to stop this from happening again) and i found them wandering around the rabbit room (well Paddy was wandering and Peaches had her head in the food bag :roll: ) and Jose was going mental in her cage cos Paddy was right outside of Jose and Rainbows pen.

I think it depends on the buns, cos with mine Jose is the only who shows any "aggression"

I suppose you could give it a go, move him into the room in his own pen a few inches apart and see how they get on

Yeah, as Vicki P pointed out...watch out for nose biting through bars! You'd be surprised at the damage a rabbit bite can cause :wave:

At my parents on a night time, Lola & Max are in their base connected to an extension, right beside Jemimah & Brian. There is absolutely zero referred agression, They don't even bite each other through the bars, they actually get on really well if I'm honest. :shock:

They could be a four...:shock::shock::shock:

I never had any problems with Hugo and Rose, when Ted would hop around them. (There would be a bit of humping, but that would die down.)

I have 3 lionheads, mum dad and baby, we had mum spayed and all three of them live n play together quite happily,
This is the house my husband made them

Last edited:
I have 3 lionheads, mum dad and baby, we had mum spayed and all three of them live n play together quite happily,
This is the house my husband made them

:love: Thats cute I bet they bomb around up and down, it's like a 'mews' house, nice :D

Thankyou everyone, I think they would all get a lot more time with me that way and also if I do decide to bond again or a 4 they will know Charlies smell..

What about free-range time?? As they will all be using the same space 'away from base' alternatively - they will have the run of the rest of the spare room, landing and our room.. will that cause problems? - if Charlies scent is everywhere?? :?

Charlie will be a good 4 or 5 inches away so no nipping!! :no:
Do you think it would be better if I put boards inbetween so they cant see each other? or do you think it wont make any difference?

Thankyou everyone, I think they would all get a lot more time with me that way and also if I do decide to bond again or a 4 they will know Charlies smell..

What about free-range time?? As they will all be using the same space 'away from base' alternatively - they will have the run of the rest of the spare room, landing and our room.. will that cause problems? - if Charlies scent is everywhere?? :?

Do you think it would be better if I put boards inbetween so they cant see each other? or do you think it wont make any difference?

I would just rota the free range time equally one out am and the others pm and no I personally wouldn't board up the others unless there is a lot of bar biting etc which could cause or lead to nipping noses etc, if it's just sniffing and then sitting etc you won't need to worry they will get so used to it eventually anyway it won't be novelty within a couple of days. :) x

What about free-range time?? As they will all be using the same space 'away from base' alternatively - they will have the run of the rest of the spare room, landing and our room.. will that cause problems? - if Charlies scent is everywhere?? :??

It might do. The most likely problem caused by his scent being around is that the pair could loose their litter training in an attempt to cover up his scent.

Boards will definitely help. Buns seem to get excited by the scent AND sight of other rabbits, so should help to minimize their excitement

Last edited:

I don't think it'll make any difference really. I'd expect there to be no more problems, smelling or seeing. Just go with what they want. They might not want to see him, or they might be really inquisitive.

eta: this is only from personal experience. All buns are different...but I've never had to use boards.

Back