• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold weather

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Hi

I hope everyone is well.

My bunnies are in a converted shed, they have a hutch within the shed which is stuffed with hay, they have heat pads and vet beds. Do you think thats enough or do you think with this reallly cold weather we should bring them in the house?

We have a conservatory, which has no heating or in the house which is fully heated, or are they ok where they are?

Thank you for reading and helping.

Sue, Dobbin and Twinkle!

xxx

As long as they are heathy I think they will be fine. It sounds like they have a nice sheltered home. As long as they have places to snuggle with lots of hay that should keep them warm. I'd just make sure it's all waterproof and windproof :)

Hiya, I've had the same worries, especially with the artic weather recently. My two live in a converted/insulated shed, but the frost was so severe last night, it had got inside and the water was constantly freezing, so I've just brought them in until it gets slightly better! Peace of mind you see :)

I think that as long as they have at least the basics which I believe are, being in the same place so they have adapted with the weather, free from any dampness or draft, have plenty of hay and have access to actual water (not an icy bottle) they should be fine.

I think that is the main problem for everyone, keeping the water from freezing, we have never had that problem because our shed never gets that cold, but these temperatures we have been seeing on the news are a lot lower than we have seen in years.

I did read a tip which was to use a bowl, if it freezes, at least they can lick the ice. I am not sure about these bottle snug things, do they actually stop the metal spout from freezing???? If they don't they seem pointless.

I don't mind the snow, I don't have anywhere to go at the moment so it is not really bothering me, but I am tortured every time I see these cold temperatures, I can't help but to think of all the animals out in fields and gardens, some are being mistreated anyway and the lack of non frozen water, their wet bedding and icy winds... well it upsets me to think of it.

The fact that you have asked the question Dobbin, I am sure your rabbits are fine, but I think we should all spread the word and get our family and friends to spread the word, so all those cold animals that have been forgotten, might just survive the winter without the torture.

Sorry to bring this topic down further, but these things need to be said and I am angry with news stations that they bleat on 24/7 about traffic and never take just 10 seconds to remind people about their animals.

Last edited:
Great idea, I just did the same. I worry a lot about wild, farm and zoo animals in this weather, poor little souls.

I worry about my rabbits but they are in a similar position to you Dobbin. They are in a hutch in a shed, with a bottle in a snuggle safe which is changed 2-3 times a day, plenty of hay and straw and each other to snuggle in to, as well as a snugglesafe (one between 2 though :?) and we have pulled sheeting down over the front so hopefully the heat stays in there a bit better. The shed is not insulated and I cant help but worry although they chose to spend time sitting out in the run with the freezing wind, so I think well if they choose to do that then it cant be that bad.....

It would probably be more difficult for me to bring them in, OH thinks they will be fine and he is more rational than me so I am trying to believe him!!!

Well done helgalush, I have been watching the news and I have not heard any mention, it would be nice if other people email, bombarding them might just work.

Back