• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Layers of bedding hutch

ShAzZa_UK

New Kit
I haven't got a rabbit yet so I'm a bit of a noob asking silly questions....what bedding do you layer the hutch with and in what order? Also, what bedding provides the best insulation in the sleeping area?:)

i would say a piece of lino on the floor then newspaper then wood shavings then hay.once they are litter trained you can switch wood shavings for straw.

I use waterproofed back fleece blankets and loads of hay in a box and litter trays for mine. I think though I am going to get some lino for under the blankets also :)

ETA, your not daft for asking as thats how new people to rabbits can find out the best way to care for them. I think people who dont ask and think there way is fine with no experience or guidance are daft.

we don't layer in our hutches/sheds or wendy houses.

We use lino to keep the hutch clean, then newspaper. Then, we use litter trays with newspaper, litter (NOT SHAVINGS OR SAWDUST - PROVEN TO BE UNSAFE FOR SMALL ANIMALS) e.g. Megazorb or similar, then hay on top. If you give them a big litter tray, and lots of hay, it'll encourage good hay eating, weeing and pooing in the tray, plus in this weather, it'll help to keep your bunnies warm.

My hutches have a layer of shavings, the upper level has also a thick layer of hay on top, their bed area has straw on top of the shavings you can also add a bit of hay in there too...as for litter trays I use cat WOOD pellets, thick layer then hay, the wood pellets absorb the urine and falls to mush, I don't recommend clay based litter as it can be dangerous if digested, don't be scared of asking questions although people do things different ways...and it's up to you to find what suits you better ...:D

Back