• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this hutch big enough?

stampz

Warren Scout
Ok quick question, our two pairs have decided they no longer like each other :cry:

Long story short we now have Lola and Mimi in the house, and Willo and Weeto outside in our spare "Daisy Cottage" hutch, this is only really a base for them while we are in bed or at work, as for the rest of the time they get to run in the garden.

We got the hutch from pets at home a while ago, and they don't sell it anymore, however they do still have the cover for it (so you can check dimensions) this is the link

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/hutch-hugger-for-daisy-cottage-by-scratch-and-newton-16052

There is room in there for their litter tray as well as a hay shelf and a nice hay sleeping area.

Does anyone else have this hutch? Would you consider it big enough...I don't like to think of the buns being unhappy....:cry:

Possibly but I don't personally like hutches. I'd much prefer a shed/bike store. Could you look in the free ads or freecycle maybe?

We have Primrose Cottage - looks the same size but has the top door at the other side. It is fine for our two dwarf netherland rabbits, though obviously the bigger the better where hutches are concerned. I actually wish I had bought a shed, but didn't think of it at the time.

As they sound like they are outside a lot, it seems okay to me. I have built a run that fits to the front of the hutch so you can open the door and they can go in and out as they want.

I had Daisy Cottage when I first got my 2 back in the Summer. I ended up swapping it for Primrose Cottage about a month later as the ramp had broke and it was leaking water when it rained. Primrose is about a foot longer and is proper tongue and groove (?) wood so its a bit sturdier. The bolts are a lot better too.

Didn't know it when I bought it, cos I don't think it actually says anywhere, but when I took Daisy Cottage back, P@H told me it was only meant to house one rabbit :? Personally I think Primrose Cottage is better, the extra space seems to make a big difference :)

They had a Daisy hutch in our PAH today.
It is 4ft wide, so not really big enough for two rabbits.
Do they have a permanent run attached? If not, and if you can't afford to change the hutch, it would be an easier and cheaper option to give them permanent access to a run.

As a guide our minimum is a 6ft x 2ft hutch with a permanent 6ft x 6ft run attached

I have primrose cottage and also a combo with 6ft run attached...I think the primrose is spacious enough for 2 buns, then with added playtime outside....I'm investing in a dog kennel with run in the new year though :D

Back