• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor little Buddy U/D post 10

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
Hey guys, my poor little Buddy has got snuffles. He is really down and not liking anything at the moment. My vet has been brilliant and as i didnt know what was up with him and was very very worried my vet let me visit him today and he didnt charge me any extra for a weekend call.

he has given my antibiotics and nasal drops, poor Buddy is not drinking much and doesnt want anything to eat, he has had nothing to eat since yesterday lunch time. Is there any ideas of how to get him to eat. My vet has given me some stuff to put in his water and give him little bit in a syringe in his mouth and make sure water is on offer. I have brought him in so he is not in the hutch and he seems to be picking up I am just worried about him not eating as he is normally a little muncher and will eat anything and everything.

He said this is something that will not go away but can be managed and looking at some of the threads on here, people have rabbits who have this problem and you all seem to manage but it is a hard problem to deal with or very manageable.

thanks for reading this i am just a very worried bunny mum.

xxx

Last edited:
I am afraid I can not offer advise on snuffles but he does need to eat, it is very important or he could go in to statis if he has not already.
Did the vet give you any science recovery or something similar to syringe feed? It is vital he has some sort of food intake even if he is unwilling to eat for himself or his gut will stop.
Also try tempting him with ALL his favorite foods, herbs are good as they have a strong scent- try basil, mint, parsley.
Sending vibes.

my vet said that bunnies run on energy and to keep offering him food, he has mint in his box with him and carrot peelings as they are his favourite. the stuff to put in his water is like glucose. i have to ring my et in the morning and tell him if he has eaten.
Just worried as i have never had sick bunny till now. my have always been happy and healthy and then i feel in loe for the runt of the litter and my problems have started.
THanks for your advice xxx

If he is not eating and he has been examined by a Vet then you need to give supportive feeds via syringe

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=116738

Please be VERY careful doing this with a Bun who has a compromised respiratory tract as the last thing he needs now is to aspirate a feed. However, it is very important that he has some food intake to keep his GI tract functioning. If you are in any doubt about giving Syringe Feeds yourself I'd advise you to ask your Vet to Hospitalise him for a few days to try to stabalise him.

I hope he recovers soon

xx

I'm sorry your bunny is poorly.
Bisolvon powder from your vet may help to clear his nasal passages and make him more interested in foods.
I hope he feels better soon xx

good news guys, Buddy has been eating this morning. He has been tucking into cabbage leaves and carrots. He had a tiny nibble last night after I came off the computer but he has had some today so i am feeling happier and less stressed. He is as we speak having an explore of the living room.

Bramble is out in his run looking sad as his neighbour is not there, think he is missing him. If the weather is as warm tomorrow like it is today do you think i could put im out for an hour just to have some fresh air and see Bramble.

I'm glad Buddy is improving :D

it's not very warm where we are. It would be best to avoid changes of temperature for now while he recovers, but if he stays indoor for too long you will need to keep him in until spring because he may lose his winter coat.
Are he and Bramble bonded?

No Buddy and Bramble are not bonded cos Bramble still needs to get the snip. they are in runs next to each other and are happy to see each other every day. Was thinking of maybe putting Buddy in his hutch during the day and then maybe bring hiback in at night, what do you think, dont know much bout this as i have never had to keep a bunny in doors before except buddy when he had the snip and that was in the summer.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that Buddy is feeling a lot better and is now back in his hutch and enjoying himself. I started putting him out for an hour in his hutch and building it up day be day. I moved him out the living room were had been and was nice and warm and cosy to the kitchen which is a little cooler so he got used to the temperature again. He has 1 more dose of his anti biotics left for tonight and then he is all done. His snuffles have nearly gone, he has a slight snuffle so may take him back the vets and see what he says.

Thanyou so much for all your get well vibes and help on here, it made me feel better knowing there was people there for me.

Thankyou everyone

from
Emma and Buddy

Back