• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Two Litters of Babies

LibbyGabby

New Kit
Could someone please give me some advice. I purchased 2 rabbits for my daughter in July from a Breeder and was told they were same sex. On 9th October I noticed something in the cage and realised it was a baby rabbit! There was a litter of four and we immediately seperated the mum and the other rabbit. They have done well and seem to be thriving and are eating solids. HOWEVER, yesterday (10th November) I noticed some blood in the cage, and on closer inspection discovered another litter of babies!!! There was a litter of four but one was dead. The only thing I can think is that maybe the first lot of babies were a day or two old before we realised, and we put her out with her 'mate' on one of those days and she got pregnant instantly again.

Because the first litter are on solids (they're now 4 and a bit weeks old) we've now seperated the Mum from them so she's just with the second litter but is this the right thing to do? Should we put them all together in a big run with the nest of babies in a box in a corner? Or should we just put Mum with the first lot for an hour or so every day so they don't miss her so much?

The boy is seperate from them all and is going to the vet this week to be done!!!!!!!!

Any help gratefully received, I feel terrible that she's had back to back babies and anything I can do to make it easier for her would be appreciated.

I'm sure someone will give you better advice but I would bring the first litter inside if they are on solids. Even the best mums can turn on the first litter if they feel the younger ones are threatened and it won't take much for mum to kill them. Also, if they've already been taken away she won't like them coming back.

Have the male castrated now, and wait 6 weeks before introducing him and mum together again. Wait until the babies have left mum before putting him back. After the babies are 8-10 weeks old they can be removed from mum, sexed and found new homes. Then mum should be spayed. Good luck!!

:wave: Poor you and your little girl:shock:

No experience with breeding buns but please get her neutered too. I think it is 80% of does that go on to develop uterine cancer if they are not neutered.

What are you going to do with all those babies:shock:

Once she gave birth she can immediately get pregnant again, so it's likely that is what happened. It sounds like you are doing your best with the situation. I'm sure you will find lots of useful information on this forum, I don't know all the dates myself but please make sure you seperate the boys from the girls at the right time, you don't want to wait because rabbits are very good at breeding as you know :?

Thanks for your feedback! I'm just worried that 4 weeks is too soon to take the first litter away from Mum but they seem to be doing ok. I'll definitely have Mum neutered but will give her chance to recover from her ordeal!! All 9rabbits are indoors in our kitchen - the big babies are in a run, Dad's in his hutch and Mum's in her hutch with the newborn litter. Had no idea how far sawdust and hay can travel!!

I'm taking Dad and big babies (seperately!) to the vets this week to be a) neutered and b) sexed.

We're going to keep one for my eldest daughter and are hoping to home the others through friends and work colleagues, but if anyone is in the Rochester or Kent area and would like a mini Lop Ear do let me know!!

You're right that ideally they would have stayed with mum for a bit longer, but I think you did the right thing as there is a significant chance mum could have hurt the older babies.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm just worried that 4 weeks is too soon to take the first litter away from Mum but they seem to be doing ok. I'll definitely have Mum neutered but will give her chance to recover from her ordeal!! All 9rabbits are indoors in our kitchen - the big babies are in a run, Dad's in his hutch and Mum's in her hutch with the newborn litter. Had no idea how far sawdust and hay can travel!!

I'm taking Dad and big babies (seperately!) to the vets this week to be a) neutered and b) sexed.

We're going to keep one for my eldest daughter and are hoping to home the others through friends and work colleagues, but if anyone is in the Rochester or Kent area and would like a mini Lop Ear do let me know!!

To be honest I would wait a few more weeks untill they are 8 weeks before you get them sexed.it is very easy for even a vet to make a mistake this early.

Back