• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Left medication out! Desperately need help!

Sakura6267

Warren Scout
I accidentally left the Metronidazole out all night when I gave him his dose yesterday. I couldn't believe it when I saw it sitting on the table this morning. I'm usually so careful about these things. I really think I'm starting to lose it. I have a serious medical issue, I haven't slept properly in nearly 2 weeks (ever since Yuki got ill). I've gotten more and more forgetful and generally just losing it! And now that medicine is completely useless because I forgot to put it back in the fridge and he needs it to prevent an abscess. I begged my mom to drive me to the clinic today and pick up a new one, but she absolutely refuses because it's like an hour away and $30 for gas. I can't get my driver's because of my medical condition, so basically I'm completely screwed. Now he's going to for sure get an abscess and I don't have a cent to my name. My mom loaned me $400 yesterday for his appointment, there's no way she'll pay anymore than that. I'm afraid I will have to him euthanized now, and that is a decision I never want to make! But if he gets and abscess and I have no money left to treat it, I can't let him suffer. This is all my fault for being so stupid and leaving the medicine out of the fridge, and my mom who puts herself in front of my bunny.

Try not too blame yourself, it is so easy to make a mistake. Can you ring the surgery and ask them whether the medicine will be ok to give him? If its an antibiotic then I think not being in a fridge doesnt cause it to go off as such but just makes it less effective.

They told me it did for sure need to be refrigerated and that is was useless now. I don't see how one night can do it, but they insisted it did. I just don't know what to do now. I'm not sure what kind it is. It says in brackets (Fruit) and 100mg/ml.

I just phoned the clinic again and thankfully someone who knew a little more answered this time. She's the person who does all the ordering of the antibiotics and they had spoken to the pharmacist about this case as well. Apparently the doctor hadn't realized that they had changed the syrup stuff so it no longer needed to be refrigerated, but it was better because it lasted longer and the animals seemed to prefer it a little cooler. Even the medications that do need to stay in the fridge are ok for up to 12 hours, and I had only left it out 10 and a half. Thank goodness I didn't throw it out when they told me to!

I am so relieved, but still angry with myself for forgetting. I think I'm really starting to lose my mind over this. I've been sick for a very long time, and Yuki was my constant companion through this terrible time. He's the light of my life, and just the thought of losing him, or worse, making the decision to put him to sleep, it actually makes me nauseated to think it. I lost my first bunny to Snuffles that progressed into pneumonia many years ago and I'm not even over his death yet, I can't imagine how it will be like when I lose Yuki. That's why I just freak over everything even though I often embarrass myself doing so because it's usually not as bad as I think it is.

Thanks. :) I do have the tendency to overreact a lot!

On the bright side, as far as I can tell he's still abscess-free and hopefully it'll stay that way! If he gets one, I'll pretty much have to take out a loan to pay to remove it! But the doctor said there was only a little puss. I wonder how long I have to wait to be sure an abscess won't develop.

Thats great news about the med! Dont worry about freaking out, like Louise and Gus said we all do it, it just shows how much you care!!
I now what you mean about your little bun being the light of your life and helping you through difficult times in your life, Jimby has been my little rock through thick and thin and there has been a lot of 'thick' of late, I dont know what I would do without him, I really dont think I can cope which kills me because I know one day I am going to be faced with it.

Metronidazol is a fantastic AB for this situation. When the pus has gone & he got nice healthy gums you'll know that all is OK. At a GUESS 4-5 days.
I reckon that all is under control now & he'll be OK. You got to a good vet in time. Well done you. :thumb:

I wish I could calm down a lot more than I do, though. It really stresses me out when I freak out, which makes me weaker and I'm actually finding it harder and harder to take care of Yuki because the stress is really taking a toll on me. And when I freak out like this, it can get really embarrassing too. :oops:

I really hope it's under control now and the infection is healing without becoming an abscess. So you think if I don't feel any strange lumps by the end of this week he'll be all clear? The vet said he had just a little puss, barely enough to take a culture, so hopefully it's gone now. I couldn't even sleep last night because I'm so worried about an abscess. I just can't stop worrying. I seriously can't stand the thought of losing him. :(

I wish I could calm down a lot more than I do, though. It really stresses me out when I freak out, which makes me weaker and I'm actually finding it harder and harder to take care of Yuki because the stress is really taking a toll on me. And when I freak out like this, it can get really embarrassing too. :oops:

I really hope it's under control now and the infection is healing without becoming an abscess. So you think if I don't feel any strange lumps by the end of this week he'll be all clear? The vet said he had just a little puss, barely enough to take a culture, so hopefully it's gone now. I couldn't even sleep last night because I'm so worried about an abscess. I just can't stop worrying. I seriously can't stand the thought of losing him. :(

glad all is sorted now.

i know how you feel hun. it is so emotionally draining looking after a poorly bun.

i was so down all the time but then i acted ok infront of the rabbits and they were better for it.

just go away from him and have a good cry, pick yourself up, and carry on. it's all you can do.

it is so draining though but keep going xxx

I would say that you have probably got to it in time. Fingers crossed.

biscandmatt1 is right, no matter how hard it is for you, you need to try your best not to let Yuki know how worried you are because he will sense it hun.
So as biscandmatt1 said go in to another room, get all your tears out and then put on a brave face and show him how loved he is.

You know we are all here for you so feel free to vent to us, you can always pm me if you need a shoulder. :wave:

Thank you so much for the support. :) It's nice that I have some place to vent out my feelings since I don't really have anyone to confide to in my life.

I try to keep a brave face in front of my Yuki, I really do. But it's so hard and sometimes I just can't help breaking down. I go to another room to cry, but I can't seem to stop, and I have to take care of him so often he sees how upset I am. I wish I could control my emotions better, but it's so hard when everything is going so rotten. :( My illness and lack of sleep don't help the situation either. I just wish for everything to get back to normal. If Yuki would just get better, then I really think I'll soon be on the road to recovery as well.

Sakura6267 I am on a website called LIVING LIFE TO THE FULL it may be useful to you too, I am Louise Louise on there. :wave:

It may be taking some time, but I am sure little Yuki is on the mend now, you need to have faith in him, show him he can be strong and you will get there together.

Back