• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spay booked any advise! (pic added)

ilovemybuns

Alpha Buck
silver goes in for her spay on thursday,just wondered if any one had any advice pre-op.
i have an pen for her to stay indoors for a few days after,but when can she go back in with midnight?
rabbitsnew007.jpg

rabbits226.jpg

Isn't Silver a pretty girl :love: I hope her Op goes well - lots of luck :D:wave:

No special pre-op advice really other than to keep her eating and drinking right up until you take her to the vet to make sure she has a nice full tummy to keep her guts moving whilst she is under the GA. Rabbits can not vommit so she must not be starved first.
I would pack her a little pack lunch and ask the vet/vet nurses to feed it to her as she comes round. Her usual pellets, favourite hay, and any other of her favourite foods, treats etc. to encourage her to eat after her Op as soon as possible. This is very important with a rabbit.
Make sure that the vets give her plenty of pain relief both before and after the Op and that they don't send her home until she is properly round and has her appetite back unless there is no-one on duty overnight in which case she might be better at home. I would also ask for some oral pain relief to take home for the next day and the one after if she needs it and some Protexin fibreplex perhaps too to help her tum get moving again asap. I would also pick up a packet of Critical Care or Recovery feed for syringing should she need it. Basically if she doesn't eat within 12 hours or so post-op (some say 24 hrs but I tend to err on the side of caution with bunny digestive systems) you may need to feed her until she does.
I would also stock up on her favourite foods for the fridge for when you collect her - lots of fresh herbs are very useful to tempt the appetite - thyme, rosemary, marjoram, coriander, basil etc.
Have you got a heat pad and some warm blankets/vet bed? If no heat pad you can use a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow case (provided she is not a chewer) or litre plastic bottles filled with hot water. Post-op buns find it hard to maintain body temp. Good luck - lots of vibes - am sure it will go fine :):wave:

Isn't Silver a pretty girl :love: I hope her Op goes well - lots of luck :D:wave:

No special pre-op advice really other than to keep her eating and drinking right up until you take her to the vet to make sure she has a nice full tummy to keep her guts moving whilst she is under the GA. Rabbits can not vommit so she must not be starved first.
I would pack her a little pack lunch and ask the vet/vet nurses to feed it to her as she comes round. Her usual pellets, favourite hay, and any other of her favourite foods, treats etc. to encourage her to eat after her Op as soon as possible. This is very important with a rabbit.
Make sure that the vets give her plenty of pain relief both before and after the Op and that they don't send her home until she is properly round and has her appetite back unless there is no-one on duty overnight in which case she might be better at home. I would also ask for some oral pain relief to take home for the next day and the one after if she needs it and some Protexin fibreplex perhaps too to help her tum get moving again asap. I would also pick up a packet of Critical Care or Recovery feed for syringing should she need it. Basically if she doesn't eat within 12 hours or so post-op (some say 24 hrs but I tend to err on the side of caution with bunny digestive systems) you may need to feed her until she does.
I would also stock up on her favourite foods for the fridge for when you collect her - lots of fresh herbs are very useful to tempt the appetite - thyme, rosemary, marjoram, coriander, basil etc.
Have you got a heat pad and some warm blankets/vet bed? If no heat pad you can use a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow case (provided she is not a chewer) or litre plastic bottles filled with hot water. Post-op buns find it hard to maintain body temp. Good luck - lots of vibes - am sure it will go fine :):wave:

thank you thats fab..blue was fine after his,but ive read females are harder xx

thank you thats fab..blue was fine after his,but ive read females are harder xx

Yes it is a much more invasive Op - an Ovouterine spay - ovaries and uterine horns removed, so females tend to take a couple of days to really get back on their feet afterwards. It seems females are more inclined to pull their stitches as well so hopefully your vet will use some good strong internal stitches and glue etc.
I would not advise a buster collar though unless absoultely necessary - it is better to use firm abdo wrapping if by day 2-3 bun is getting quite irritated by the stitches.

midnight is her son,he isnt neutered yet not old enough,so he will be booked in when he is 6 months old

He can probably be done a lot earlier than 6 months. Most vets will castrate as soon as the testicles drop which can happen around 12 wks. :wave:

ETA as for when you put them back? It depends really how he is... whether or not he is hormonal - he may pester her and whilst she is recovering this might not be a good idea but if they are already bonded then separation from him will be an added stress for her. However, do be aware that even separation for a few hours can, in some rabbits, break a bond, and therefore when she comes home he may not necessarily accept her back or a fight may break out. You will need to reintroduce them carefully and supervise. You could always take him in the car to collect her so they can ride back together? You may be able to take him in with her during her Op but I'm not sure many vets let this happen as they prefer to be able to monitor the bun closely post-op. I think if he were neutered it might be easier but to be honest - someone else would be better to advise you on this, i've not been through it myself. Both my buns were already neutered by the rescue.

Last edited:
Wow Excellent advice :angel: - just out of interest heard a lot about 'heat pads' where do you get them from ? My little male is indoors at night but, just for future reference thought it might be quite nice as a little treat - I have a lavender wrap which heats up in the microwave and it's just nice on cold nights round my shoulders just as a little extra comfort ....like tonight after he was soooo brave having his first jab.

Wow Excellent advice :angel: - just out of interest heard a lot about 'heat pads' where do you get them from ? My little male is indoors at night but, just for future reference thought it might be quite nice as a little treat - I have a lavender wrap which heats up in the microwave and it's just nice on cold nights round my shoulders just as a little extra comfort ....like tonight after he was soooo brave having his first jab.

Yes a lavender bag would be fine if he was poorly. I wouldn't leave it with him unsupervised unless he is definitely not a chewer otherwise you may find very little lavender bag left in the morning! :lol:

I have this heat pad: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=180
it's made by snugglesafe :wave:

He can probably be done a lot earlier than 6 months. Most vets will castrate as soon as the testicles drop which can happen around 12 wks. :wave:

ETA as for when you put them back? It depends really how he is... whether or not he is hormonal - he may pester her and whilst she is recovering this might not be a good idea but if they are already bonded then separation from him will be an added stress for her. However, do be aware that even separation for a few hours can, in some rabbits, break a bond, and therefore when she comes home he may not necessarily accept her back or a fight may break out. You will need to reintroduce them carefully and supervise. You could always take him in the car to collect her so they can ride back together? You may be able to take him in with her during her Op but I'm not sure many vets let this happen as they prefer to be able to monitor the bun closely post-op. I think if he were neutered it might be easier but to be honest - someone else would be better to advise you on this, i've not been through it myself. Both my buns were already neutered by the rescue.

tbh i was going to get them both done at the same time,but my vets wont do it until he is 6 months old,im not worried about mounting just yet as he is very lais back, i will see how she is first and take it from their ,i do have a spare hutch if needed.thanks for the great advice i really appreciate it xx

Vibes for your little girls spay.

I'd take a pack a lunch for your bun! and I can definately agree with having a snugglesafe prepared for afterwards. :)

Sorry to hijack ur thread.

My bunny is going in for her spay on Tuesday and I have some vetbed and a snugglesafe. Now after she comes home I'll put her straight on the vetbed but where do I put the snugglesafe? Next to her or under her?

Probably a stupid question but just wanted to check :)

thanks.

Sorry to hijack ur thread.

My bunny is going in for her spay on Tuesday and I have some vetbed and a snugglesafe. Now after she comes home I'll put her straight on the vetbed but where do I put the snugglesafe? Next to her or under her?

Probably a stupid question but just wanted to check :)

thanks.

Snugglesafes usually come with a fleecy cover and if microwaved for the correct length of time they do not get too hot. They are a phase-change liquid. So you can either leave it on top of the vet bed or put it underneath - it is up to you. But just check it is not too hot as sick buns are unable to respond properly to heat and cold and move away sometimes, so you will need to monitor this for her. I tend to use them under a blanket or vetbed rather than on top myself. :wave:

Snugglesafes usually come with a fleecy cover and if microwaved for the correct length of time they do not get too hot. They are a phase-change liquid. So you can either leave it on top of the vet bed or put it underneath - it is up to you. But just check it is not too hot as sick buns are unable to respond properly to heat and cold and move away sometimes, so you will need to monitor this for her. I tend to use them under a blanket or vetbed rather than on top myself. :wave:

Thanks, I'll watch her to check it's all alright and stick it under a blanket :)

tomorrow

well silver goes in tomorrow,ive packed her lunchbox :lol: and her carrier..im so nervous .i hope she will be ok

Hope everything goes well, i'm sure it will.

When Amber came home after her spay i had an indoor cage with towls laid down with newspaper and hay in a rack (so it doesn't irritate the wound). I could fit her carrier in the cage so she could hide if she wanted to and i didn't have to lift her out. I put her snugglesafe in the carrier.

I left her to rest and checked on her every so often and waved/offered her food. Dandelion leaves are an excellent one to try to get them eating again.

Hope it all goes well.

I had my bunny done on tuesdays and she was very tired on the day, so just keep an eye on her. We had to take her back the next day coz she wasnt eating but thankfully, touch wood, shes back to her her greedy self :)

Its easier said than done, I know, but try to keep your mind of it.

Gd luck silver :)

home

well silvers home now and everything went ok,the vet nurse said she has been eating hay,so i have set up the travel pen and shes in their now...
thanks for all the vibes guys!

Back