• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 males

Hi, have been a browser for a while now as I find this a very informative site however I have a few questions of my own. I have 2 males that have been neutered and want to try and bond them this weekend.

I have heard that they are likely to fight while they establish their hierarchy so unless they draw blood leave them to get on with it. My 2 children are away overnight tonight so would like to try tomorrow morning while they are not here to see the fighting (if they do) as I know they would get upset. The thing is I only have a few hours before I need to go out for about an hour. So do A) Don't do it at all as it would be really bad, B) Have a try, then seperate when I go out or C) Try, if they get on ok, leave them for the hour while I am out?

We have brought a new 6x2 hutch with run. The hutch has a piece of wood to cover the hole to stop them going to run. Can I try and bond them in there?

Thanks

How long have the boys been neuetered for?

You really need somewhere where you can keep an eye on them over the next few days, an enclosed area where neither bun can escape. Initial bonding takes 3-4 day in the same area, so a living room or bedroom would be best as you need to supervise over night too.

The area you use MUST be neuteral to both buns, somewhere neither has been, or an area throughly cleaned with a solution of white vinegar and water, to neutralise the smells.

I think you really need at least a weekend if not a long weekend to get a bond established. I tend to start on a Friday evening and will not move them until atleast Sunday evening if I have to, but prefer monday evening if I can.

Personally I wouldn't start unless I know I am in to supervise, as although buns might look ok together the minute you go out something could happen:? Typical, isn't it

I have just recently bonded 2 different male pairings.

One pair got on immediately and never fought, just did a little chasing and humping. The second pair took a little longer, they were side by side in their run, but separated by a partition for a few days, and then gradually introduced and monitored. They didnt fight at all, but there was a lot of chasing and trying to fur pull. It has taken them about a week to become happily settled.

I would approach a male/ male pairing as I do any combination, allow them to spend a few days side by side but separated so they can get each others smell, and get any initial aggression over with while there is a partition to prevent injuries. Then allow them together in a neutral area, and work from there slowly.

You are right if there is chasing and slight fur pulling let them get on with it, but if they are actually fighting they must be separated as they can do a lot of damage.

Good luck.
Cerys :)

Totally agree with Louise.

The only othere option I could suggest is to start them indoors tonight and then hopefully they will be ok for you to pop out for a short while tomorow. Could you get someone to do whatever you need to do tomorrow for you, that would be a better option. They would need to be in a place where you can easily observe them so outside in a hutch would make this difficult unless you are prepared to spend the night outside next to the hutch.

Thanks for the replies... Unfortunately I can't do it over a few days and overnights especially as I am deaf so wouldn't hear them if there was issues. I had read on here that some people separated at night even though this method took longer. So was going on that method really even though not ideal. Sunday I am in all day so am deffinately doing it then, just wanted to try tomorrow without the kids being here really get the worse over with if there was any. They are already side by side and can see each other though the mesh. They have been neutered for 4 weeks this weekend. The vets told me it would be ok to try at 4 weeks as they are both males.

I think I would put it off for another 2 weeks, BECAUSE they are males. You really need to make sure hormones have completely died down, otherwise it will make it more difficult in the long run, as the begin to associate that bun with fighting and it becomes a learned behaviour. I am still waiting for 6 weeks with my female, as she is going after my males bits :( .

I would be especially concerned with fighting behaviour as you are going to need to seperate over night.

Male male and female females pairs are both more difficult, due to hormones and territory having much more of an influence over the buns.

Gosh reading all these stories,I realise how lucky I was with my pair.Rio a neutered male was 2 when we introduced a female baby to him Cleo,he chased her a few times but never attacked her.She would lie flat down in submission,they bonded no problem.I read up bonding and a lot of sites stated male and female usually bond the best.We got her spayed when she was old enough.She used to spray poor old Rio with pee,and would literally threw herself at him and roll over on her back,and paw at his behind,the hussey! He would just sit there looking confused.:D

Rio is now 4 and Cleo is 2,they are total cuddle bunnies to each other.

OK after checking vet receipt we worked out the boys had been neutered 6 weeks ago.

We set up pen in a neutral area, put them in together at same time, started off well, ignored each other. As they had not been fed we put a bowl of food down for them, ate out of it fine together. Once they had enough food thats when they started to take notice of each other and started fighting, it looked like they were going for each others bits, no blood drawn but fur flying. We have now separated them.

Am I right to take it that as they were going for each others bits that this is the end of trying to bond these 2?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Have you got anywhere where they can just see each other through bars? For example one being in the hutch and one being out of it or vice versa. I found this worked when I was bonding males. I let them see each other through the bars for a good few weeks before trying them together.

But I would suggest leaving it a few days before trying again if they fight so they don't associate each other with being stressed.

Back