• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond process started - help with next stage please

NickieM

Warren Veteran
I started to try to bond Felix with Wolfie and Gloria today. I started in a piece of neutral territory with Wolfie and Felix initially. There was a bit of a scuffling and nipping but nothing really serious. Once they settled down and got used to each other, they moved on to humping with Wolfie doing a lot of that. I had expected that as Felix appears very submissive and Wolfie has small man syndrome. However, once Felix had reflected a bit, he started to try to hump Wolfie, but not with any great conviction.

I then added Gloria into the mix and she was very very good. She didn't bite or attack and was very laid back. They were together for over three hours and there was flopping, a tiny bit of grooming. Felix groomed Gloria and Wolfie groomed Felix although he made it look like he was chinning his ear.

I then moved too fast to putting them all in the original compound together. I had Gloria and Felix in when it started to go wrong. She was suddenly very very aggressive (obviously very territorial). She chased and bit very hard. Felix squealed (checked later and he has no bites). At this point I notice that Wolfie had escaped and was running round the garden in pure joy at being out. I had decided to call it a day at this point. Caught Felix and put him back in his run. Caught Wolfie and put him back and then collapsed!!

I obviously moved on too fast. What would be the next logical process for me. The main compound is about 20' x 15' with a hutch in the middle of it and an A frame at the other end for shelter. I blocked off the A-frame, but it is difficult to get to them when they run. Should I block off a small area of the run so they can get used to Felix being on their territory and when they do that, let him have more space?

Last edited:
If you are bonding a trio of rabbits they must be in neutral territory, I use an area which is less than 6 foot x 2 foot and keep them within this for at least 72 hours, only then if they are totally happy will I SLOWLY increase their space every 48 hours by about another 4 foot x 2 foot.

Any new area you give them must be neutral or thoroughly cleaned with a strong smelling substance like water and vinegar to get rid of the smells. If you increase the space too quickly or use non neutral territory you are almost guaranteed to end up with fighting and possibly injuries.

It is best to ensure that you have adequate time to continually monitor them rather than have to stop the bonding process as you need to go out. This way you get less injuries, less stressed bunnies and quicker results.

Back