• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please {again}

Bugsy4ever

Young Bun
My eight year male after getting over snuffles,hes now got a lump on the side of his nose,hes eating well drinking lots of water and his poos fine.he hopping around and nosie as ever.any ideas what the lump could be please.

My eight year male after getting over snuffles,hes now got a lump on the side of his nose,hes eating well drinking lots of water and his poos fine.he hopping around and nosie as ever.any ideas what the lump could be please.

Is he up to date with his Myxi vaccinations?

help again

Hi been to the vets this morning ,me old mate bugsy has a abscess,the vet says its to near to his nose to operate,plus his age is a big factor.she s put him on 0.4 mls of metacam and 1mls of septrin with a return date in two weeks time.shes impressed with the fact hes put on a fair bit of wieght since he got over his shuffles and was happy with is general well being.but the thing what worries me is she say she now looking at the quality of life not quantity .does anyone know of any self help i could be doing for him while the vets treating him.thanks for the advice.steven

I'm sorry to hear Bubsy has an abscess. At least it isn't myxi, although abscesses are still very serious in rabbits.
Did the vet say whether it is related to dental problems?
There is some information about abscesses in the link below. The only thing I can add is that if it is possible to drain the abscess it might be possible to pack it with manuka honey, which can help with the healing process, although this may not be suitable for some abscesses
http://www.hrschicago.org/abscessfr.html

I was just thinking the same thing. Did wonder if it was an abcess but best to rule out Myxi first. Has your bun had a head/jaw X-ray to assess the extent of the abcess and any tooth root or boney involvement? I agree that if they could drain it it would certainly relieve the pressure and pain for bunny to some extent and allow him to feel more comfortable quickly. Pressure from abcess fluid buildup can be very painful.
I would suggest some probiotics alongside the oral antibiotics prescribed. I hope your bun feels better soon.

Having met someone in our vets who had come from another vets who had diagnosed a myxi bun as having a nose abcess I would still keep a VERY careful watch on this and keep checking for swollen genitals, eye redness and lumps on ears.

its gone

After a week on his metacam and septrin his abcess has gone,no signs of myxi thank goodness :D.he did not have a xray but the vet had a realy good look at his teeth and inside his mouth.what i realy wont to know is ,what are the chances of it coming back.

help again

Hi the worse has happened and his abcess is back,i took him to the vets who said the only thing to do is to cut it and flush it out,hes now got a half shaved face and a inch cut down his nose,which we have to reopen every day to flush out the abcess with water and hibiscrub mix.please do anyone of you known this before and if so did it work as the vets said this is the last thing they can do for him,as rabbits skulls are very thin and the infection tend to seep into the bone.

Back