• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Needle disposal....does anyone know?

Shel

Warren Scout
I was wondering if anyone has trouble disposing of needles? if so how do you get your used needles disposed of. Our vet charges a lot (for rescue rabbits) for disposal and since I inject a lot I am looking for a better way to dispose of them.

Pharmacy's do a needle exchange, not sure if they all do though?

my ex husband was a steroid abuser and used the system

you can get small boxes for incineration.Ask your chemist or perhaps your GP surgery.There may be a small charge for using the disposal service but hey,it protects the environment and the public.:wave:

It is now law that for the vets to provide you with a yellow sharps disposal bin. Saying that my vet charged me £8 for it :roll:

I just took them to my vets and they disposed of them for free , suppose im lucky!

My Vet disposes of them with the surgery stuff :)

Our vet wants money for disposal...but i suppose a whole sharps bin full would be cheaper then each prescription which is what I was being charged for.
I think I will have to chat up some other vet. So far I had got away with it by sneaking them back to my vet but I think the practice manager sussed us cause she asked me if i got my needles over the internet and how did I intend to dispose of them!

Vets have to pay a lot of money to have their waste disposed of (i'm talking clinical waste, sharps bins and glass bottle bins).
Vets will often take small quantities of needles/syringes without charging you for disposal, but if your needing regular disposal then most vets will charge you for a sharps container. They should really only charge cost price though as they themselves are not providing a service as such. Each sharps bin is quite pricey.

Back