• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I help?

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
There is a sign in my village saying "baby rabbits for sale". I'm very tempted to go and check they are all ok, rightly sexed, have seen a vet. Do you think I should offer help or leave it. I think it wasan accidental litter so I just want to make sure the babies are ok, and in proper living conditions. However, I don't want the owners to think I'm prying!

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

It can't hurt to. I doubt they will take you up on the offer but may do if they need help. I saw a similar message on Freecycle recently which just said "baby rabbits. call 07.......". I really wanted to email back with a big rant telling them to get their rabbits neutered but stopped myself.

I had a similar thing last week, sign outside my local shop saying "5 flop-eared rabbits for sale, 8 weeks, various colours" and I really wasnt to go and check they were alright, and but if they weren't, what would I do - argue with the owners (it's pretty rough round here), buy all the buns thus encouraging them to breed more....

I would go for it. Be super nice and helpful and educate. It may be a bad situation but being angry, etc, won't help, but if you win them over with all your wonderful help that will help the rabbits far more than anything else.

Good luck :D

Yeah there is no harm in going to have a luck even if its just to put your mind at ease that they are kept in suitable conditions. I'm sure if they are reasonable people they will be glad of the help and advice, hope you manage to decide what to do. Let us know how it goes if you do go xx

Should i help?

it would put your mind at rest if you do go and have a sneaky peek at the baby bunnies:)
I saw a sign on my way ti the farm where i get my bunny supplies from which said "baby rabbits for sale £5"i kept driving past it and worrying so one day i stopped and went in:)I was really surprised as the rabbits (not that i think it,s good to breed them)were in huge runs with lots of toys/food and water and were in really good condition:)so i guess that if you have to breed buns then it is possible to give them a good enviroment:)
Hope you get a good result:)

I'm not against responsible breeding, and accidental litter's do happen (stoopid pet-shops/backyard breeders) but I just wonder if they are getting proper care and a vet check up. It's the poor part of the village and the house is rather shabby so I just want to for piece of mind. I think I'll go tomorrow...will update everyone. I think if I came home with them I'd get shouted at (and never talked to again though!! OH thinks one is enough...two is extortion to him!

OH thinks one is enough...two is extortion to him!

That's what my OH thinks or rather thought. We now have 5. :lol:

Not to mention the two piggies, robo hammy and two little gerbils.

Well....landlady said Teddy could come. She's looking frwards to seeing the "little" bun. The second will come after! (OH said, jokily, that Teddy can have a sister if she is called "Nosey McNoserson". Now, I refuse to call a bun that...but once I;ve got her, what's he to do?! My little man needs a friend!)

Went there yesterday and was relatively happy with the conditions they were kept in. Problem was mum was bonded to dad and he just wouldn't stop humping her. She has had her babies every month/two months and has started bleeding from below. Poor little girl couldn't get away from him and was already pregnant again. I voiced my concern about mum and she said how they were planning on getting dad neutered (probably not before these babies are born). I'm going to call in again in a week and if she hasn't separated the dad then I don't know what I'll do. I guess call the RSPCA. (Will they do anything?)

Its worth calling the rspca if like you said the mums having the babies so frequently!

Once is an accident, maybe even twice if you didnt know the mum was pregnant and the dad got her pregnant again after birth- but for it to happen that often is just neglect in my opinion! I do beleive a lot of people really do have accidents, missexed rabbits, bad pet shops etc, but for this couple to know about the rabbit being pregnant, and not seperate him after she saw him mounting her again, its just wrong!

Bleeding is not a good sign, and id want it checked out by a vet, but i guess the owners wont do that. And as you said about him not being neutored before the birth- theyll probably put him back with her before he's infertile after his op- leading to another litter.

I think its soooo wrong that this happens, and worst of all people like the rspca and pet shops espeically dont provide enough information about mixed sexed rabbits- i bought my first mixed sexed buns not so long ago, and i was definately getting them neutored (which they have been now), but i had no idea they needed to be sperated from about 12 weeks, someone on here told me luckily!

Anyway, good luck with it all!

Back