• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

not drinking :(

mum to Amos

Young Bun
Amos usually drinks about 4 shallow bowls of water a day(2 in morning and 2 at night) and also has access to a bottle that he usually drinks a wee bit of.

Got home from work and he hadnt drank his usual 2 bowls.

I have him a fresh bowl with a splash of apple juice and he drank that but he wont drink plain water, dont want to give him any more apple juice.

he is eating fine, i havent changed his diet although he had a corn on the cob over the weekend (gave him half on sat, half on sun)

he is still pooping as normal

any ideas?

I noticed your siggy, & think you are an excellent bunny mummy noticing his drinking.
Occasionally reduction in fluid intake can be caused by tiny sharp areas on the teeth - "spurs". I'ts sore to move the tongue to swallow.
Hoping that all is back to normal now - worth asking the vet to check his teeth when you're next in.

You say his normal veg, but what is this? Even a slight variation in amount, i.e. slightly more of a more watery veg might have upped his water intake for him not to be as thirsty. My Beau gets pretty much all his water from his veg, he very rarely drinks from bowl or bottle!

You say his normal veg, but what is this? Even a slight variation in amount, i.e. slightly more of a more watery veg might have upped his water intake for him not to be as thirsty. My Beau gets pretty much all his water from his veg, he very rarely drinks from bowl or bottle!

I agree totally that this is by far the more likely explanation, especially if the veg were still wet after washing.

I think the key as to whether Amos' fluid intake is adequate is his wee, which is normally pale yellow & slightly cloudy when freshly passed, but may rapidly oxidize to orange/brown, on standing for 1/2 hr.
A much reduced volume, starts to raise concerns.

We had a terrible experience of Thumper only drinking his wee (warm) & very difficult to feed, & therefore getting gut problems, for 3 1/2yrs. All was solved by regular dentals for tiny molar spurs, we knew were present from the beginning, but weren't thought to be causing problems. I subsequently learned that the 1st. sign of spurs can be stopping drinking. Perhaps it becomes understandable that I am oversensitive on the issue. I wouldn't wish our experience on anybun.

Back