• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something wrong with Bubbles U/D 29/8 Jackpot!!

I've noticed a swelling around Bubbles tummy this morning. She's running around and peeing and pooing normally and eating. I thought at first she was bloated but now I don't think she is as it's just on one side. She has a vet appointment but it's not until this afternoon, just wondered what you guys thought? It's her right side.

P230809_1031.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't feel like an absess. She did jump at her hutch door yesterday after the wind blew it shut and she wanted to go in! It does feel a bit like something internal thats gone hard :? :?

Doesn't feel like an absess. She did jump at her hutch door yesterday after the wind blew it shut and she wanted to go in! It does feel a bit like something internal thats gone hard :? :?

That sounds like 'Kidney' to me.
Has Bubbles ever had Snuffles ?
Any history of abscesses anywhere ?

No she's never had anything wrong with her other than a VERY nasty case of stasis as a youngster.

I've just got back from the vet and still don't really know anything. I didn't see my usual vet but the locum said she could feel 2 hard masses one much larger than the other. The smaller one is behind the first. Bubbles is booked in 2moro for an xray and possible surgery to remove whatever it is if it's removeable. The vet did say if it's something nasty to consider PTS but I don't even want to think about that until my usual vet has seen her. Now I don't know what to think :? :(

No she's never had anything wrong with her other than a VERY nasty case of stasis as a youngster.

I've just got back from the vet and still don't really know anything. I didn't see my usual vet but the locum said she could feel 2 hard masses one much larger than the other. The smaller one is behind the first. Bubbles is booked in 2moro for an xray and possible surgery to remove whatever it is if it's removeable. The vet did say if it's something nasty to consider PTS but I don't even want to think about that until my usual vet has seen her. Now I don't know what to think :? :(

I still think its her Kidney !! It makes perfect sense if the Vet could feel '2 masses, one behind the other'. That is EXACTLY how Mr Bean presented when I detected a grossly enlarge right Kidney. He was 'fine within himself' but he did have a history of Respiratory Tract infections (probably Pasteurella). We felt that we did not want to GA/Xray Mr B as the risk was too great. So going on his history we treated as for Pasteurellosis (causing abscesses on his Kidney). He was prescribed Depocillin injections and oral Metronidazole. At one stage his Liver also became enlarged. But after being on the two abx since 3Oth June, when his first symptoms (Respiratory Tract) presented Mr B has, in the last few days, made an apparent recovery. His Kidneys and Liver now feel 'normal' and his lungs sound so much better.
He will remain on Depocillin for another 4 weeks (one injection every 3 days) and we will then see how he is and *maybe* stop them.

That was a long winded way of saying dont give up hope yet :)

Thanks! I've read about Mr Bean.

The look on the vets face indicated that she thought more than she was letting on. Can you see where I mean on the picture? I thought kidneys were further back than that?

I'm sorry I've no advice, but wanted to let you know that you & Bubbles are my thoughts. Hoping tomorrow brings you some positive news xxx

Thanks! I've read about Mr Bean.

The look on the vets face indicated that she thought more than she was letting on. Can you see where I mean on the picture? I thought kidneys were further back than that?

Scroll down on this link and you'll come to a diagram of the Rabbit's abdominal cavity

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...6#v=onepage&q=Rabbit abdominal cavity&f=false

And an abdominal Xray (Ventrodorsal) here

http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiography/X_ray/Radio_abdomen_top.pdf

Last edited:
Hi I am really sorry to hear about Bubbles and I hope she pulls through.
Dont let the vet make you feel that it is time to throw in the towel, Bubbles will let you know when she is ready so if she still has fight in her she needs you to fight with her.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys, Bubbles needs them.

She went back to the vet this morning and they took her in. They did xrays which showed nothing other than the largest mass but didn't show what it was. The smaller mass has "disappeared". The vet then decided to "open her up" and discovered that the swelling was her uterus. They discovered that Bubbles has been pregnant at some point and inside her uterus were 3 placenta and a lot of gunk where apparantly the foetus have died, calcified and then broken down into this goo.

I'm totally gobsmacked. I can't think of anyway she could have possibly got pregnant. I have one un castrated male but he's never aloud near her for obvious reasons.

I didn't see my usual vet and had to see the locum again, who basically said I've been irresponsible and let them run together. Well if I have I must have been asleep or on drugs or something!!

On the plus side (if there is one!) she's now been spayed which is something i've been avoiding as she's always been very sensitive especially in the tummy and I've only got her because I nursed her through stasis a few years ago. She's awake and been coming around very well. I'm picking her up at 6 so will update with anymore info then.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys, Bubbles needs them.

She went back to the vet this morning and they took her in. They did xrays which showed nothing other than the largest mass but didn't show what it was. The smaller mass has "disappeared". The vet then decided to "open her up" and discovered that the swelling was her uterus. They discovered that Bubbles has been pregnant at some point and inside her uterus were 3 placenta and a lot of gunk where apparantly the foetus have died, calcified and then broken down into this goo.

I'm totally gobsmacked. I can't think of anyway she could have possibly got pregnant. I have one un castrated male but he's never aloud near her for obvious reasons.

I didn't see my usual vet and had to see the locum again, who basically said I've been irresponsible and let them run together. Well if I have I must have been asleep or on drugs or something!!

On the plus side (if there is one!) she's now been spayed which is something i've been avoiding as she's always been very sensitive especially in the tummy and I've only got her because I nursed her through stasis a few years ago. She's awake and been coming around very well. I'm picking her up at 6 so will update with anymore info then.

Oh my :shock:

I hope she makes a good recovery

Back