• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis At Rescue

I am not sure where to post this, but I have to tell someone!

My greatest fear since I started the rescue has occurred, one of the rabbits already here, a resident rabbit, has myxomatosis. He had his 6 month vaccination on 23rd April, so the vaccine should still be strong. But, his symptoms have become so bad overnight, my vet fears he may have full blown myxo.

And, as I have so many rabbits here (currently 74), I am terrified. Some are not yet vaccinated, some have only been vaccinated recently (as recent as yesterday), and some of the rescue bunnies are a month overdue on their 6 month innoculation.

I need to close for 3 weeks. A bunny was coming for bonding today, with a rabbit who has been here over a year, so I have obviously had to cancel that. I have several bondings booked, they will all need to be cancelled, the majority of them will wait, but then I will have the bondings stacking up!

My poor Milo looked so ill today. Overnight his one eye had completely closed, his gland under his throat looks like a frogs, and he has such a high temperature, he must feel lousy.

I have left him at the vets, as they feel that is the best thing to do for him. Luckily he is very social and he will not worry about being handled, but he has gone off his veg, will only tuck into his pellets and hay. He usually scoffs baby corn and parsley, but didn't touch any over night.

I know people have been able to get their bunnies through this, but his symptoms have been so rapid my vet feels the prognosis is not good.

We had a wild bunny with myxo find its way onto our front lawn on Sunday, so, somehow Milo must have contracted an insect from that poor creature.

The vets are going to ring the vaccine company as they think it must be a failed batch. I have checked my records and two other rabbits (one homed and one still here) were vaccinated the same time.

Has anyone ever come across the vaccine failing this badly? Or do you think it is sheer bad luck, and for some reason Milo is suffering worse than he should. I did not think the vaccine failed completely.

Whatever happens Milo will not suffer. Currently the pain relief and anti biotics are keeping him 'comfortable'. It is just I am so shocked at how quickly he became worse over the 12 hours when I spoke to the vet last night, and saw her this morning. Last night she thought it sounded more like a form of pasturella, this morning no one could mistake the symptoms.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I feel so bewildered and don't know what to do. All the other rabbits look fine, their ears are not thickened, but I am frightened to put them out in runs now as I feel they are more at risk in the grass outside than in their hutches in the shed.

Alice

Oh no Alice I really feel for you - something like this must just be a rescue's worst nightmare :(

I think the big issue with the myxo vaccine is that it is made from a different, but related virus, so it relies on cross-immunity, so it may well be that this particular bun wasn't able to develop that cross-immunity for some reason, rather than it being a wholly duff batch.

I really hope that this is a one-off and all your other bunnies are fine. Big hugs to you xxx

:cry: My buns were vaccinated late April, & early May (bar one), Spice (vaccinated) one of my house buns got myxi in early June. All her swellings were in her throat. She was pts immediately. I do not know if she would've survived - vet thought it wasn't a good chance - but tbh, I didn't want it sweeping through all my buns:cry:

Spice's PM confirmed myxi, & I was lucky enough to have no other buns contract it, but I think that was cos Spice got very ill, very fast:cry:
I had 18 (ish:oops:) buns here at that time, can't imagine how stressed you must be:cry:

Can you get some mosquito nets & fly strips up?

If bun's immune system was compromised at time of vaccine, it may not have been effective - which is what I was told when Spice got it & no one else.

I am not sure where to post this, but I have to tell someone!

My greatest fear since I started the rescue has occurred, one of the rabbits already here, a resident rabbit, has myxomatosis. He had his 6 month vaccination on 23rd April, so the vaccine should still be strong. But, his symptoms have become so bad overnight, my vet fears he may have full blown myxo.

And, as I have so many rabbits here (currently 74), I am terrified. Some are not yet vaccinated, some have only been vaccinated recently (as recent as yesterday), and some of the rescue bunnies are a month overdue on their 6 month innoculation.

I need to close for 3 weeks. A bunny was coming for bonding today, with a rabbit who has been here over a year, so I have obviously had to cancel that. I have several bondings booked, they will all need to be cancelled, the majority of them will wait, but then I will have the bondings stacking up!

My poor Milo looked so ill today. Overnight his one eye had completely closed, his gland under his throat looks like a frogs, and he has such a high temperature, he must feel lousy.

I have left him at the vets, as they feel that is the best thing to do for him. Luckily he is very social and he will not worry about being handled, but he has gone off his veg, will only tuck into his pellets and hay. He usually scoffs baby corn and parsley, but didn't touch any over night.

I know people have been able to get their bunnies through this, but his symptoms have been so rapid my vet feels the prognosis is not good.

We had a wild bunny with myxo find its way onto our front lawn on Sunday, so, somehow Milo must have contracted an insect from that poor creature.

The vets are going to ring the vaccine company as they think it must be a failed batch. I have checked my records and two other rabbits (one homed and one still here) were vaccinated the same time.

Has anyone ever come across the vaccine failing this badly? Or do you think it is sheer bad luck, and for some reason Milo is suffering worse than he should. I did not think the vaccine failed completely.

Whatever happens Milo will not suffer. Currently the pain relief and anti biotics are keeping him 'comfortable'. It is just I am so shocked at how quickly he became worse over the 12 hours when I spoke to the vet last night, and saw her this morning. Last night she thought it sounded more like a form of pasturella, this morning no one could mistake the symptoms.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I feel so bewildered and don't know what to do. All the other rabbits look fine, their ears are not thickened, but I am frightened to put them out in runs now as I feel they are more at risk in the grass outside than in their hutches in the shed.

Alice

Oh Alice my heart goes out to you :cry:

The problem with the Myxi Vac is that it relies on cross immunity from the Shope Fibroma virus, the vaccine is not derived from the Myxi Virus. So how effective it is is very much to do with the individual Rabbit's immune response.
If the Rabbit was not 100% well at the time of vaccination the immune response may not have been sufficient to give any protection.
It is also really important that the Vaccine is administered correctly-ie 10% into the dermis.

I cannot imagin your horror at finding Milo has this evil disease. I really dont know what to say to help.
Can the Vet come out today and vaccinate everyBun not yet covered. I will try to think up a Fund Raising Theme to try to raise some funds for you and in the meantime maybe your Vet might allow you to set up a Vaccination Account ?

What a complete nightmare :cry:

Oh Alice my heart goes out to you :cry:

The problem with the Myxi Vac is that it relies on cross immunity from the Shope Fibroma virus, the vaccine is not derived from the Myxi Virus. So how effective it is is very much to do with the individual Rabbit's immune response.
If the Rabbit was not 100% well at the time of vaccination the immune response may not have been sufficient to give any protection.
It is also really important that the Vaccine is administered correctly-ie 10% into the dermis.

I cannot imagin your horror at finding Milo has this evil disease. I really dont know what to say to help.
Can the Vet come out today and vaccinate everyBun not yet covered. I will try to think up a Fund Raising Theme to try to raise some funds for you and in the meantime maybe your Vet might allow you to set up a Vaccination Account ?

What a complete nightmare :cry:

Bless your heart Jane.

The vets are still trying to find out as much as they can. They have not had a vaccinated rabbit in before who has succumbed.

He is an older rabbit, but not old, 6. He had a huge operation on one of his eyes around Christmas time, but he should have recovered from that.

He did come from a particularly beastly home, the other rabbit who came in with him had to be PTS. So, I guess his immune system may not be that strong due to neglect.

I have booked some more in tomorrow, and will just take as many as possible! They have run out of vaccine there and it will not be delivered until later today. They are very good at ensuring the 10% is administered correctly, so hopefully the others here who are vaccinated are as safe as they can be.

I have 8 babies here, I do not know their ages, I am guessing 6 weeks. Two of the mums were vaccinated yesterday, and the other booked in tomorrow. But, of course, the babies are a worry, as I can only guess.

Thank you for your reply.

Alice x

What a nightmare. So sorry you are going through this :(

I know that Bunny Burrows in Richmond, North Yorkshire, have had a few buns come in with myxomatosis and have managed to keep it contained. One of their long term residents also contracted nodular myxi and none of the other showed symptoms. It may be like you say that a stray flea or insect has managed to bite your bun. I really hope none of the others contract it.

I'm sure if you gave Gwen a call at BB she might be able to give you some reassurance.
xx

I'm so sorry....what a terrifying situation to be in :(....I really hope you and all your buns are doing ok.
Don't give up on your bun who's contracted it just yet....I realise this is very rare but my bun when I was a child survived full blown Myxo with no vaccination and no treatment (early 80's) just by home nursing....we did lose all our others but none were vaccinated and we spread it by cross contamination of discharge fluids and not paying attention to strict hygiene....because at the time one became infected we were not aware that this is what it was. All I can offer is lots of luck and a reminder to be careful about washing your hands and changing your clothes, which i'm sure you're fully aware of, inbetween treating your Myxi bun and the other bunnies you care for.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you at this difficult time.

The vet has just rung, and confirmed what some of you have explained to me, re lowered immune system/cross immunity etc.

The vaccine company advised fly papers/nets etc, but how I am situated it is very difficult. I am in the country, most of the bbuns are in sheds at night, but there is very little way I am able to keep insects out. Bit of a pain really.

Milo has not eaten anything since being there, he was eating some hay when I left him, but his high temp (106) must be making him feel rotten. They are continuing to observe him, but as I am back in the morning I may decide to bring him home, if they consider it worthwhile. I can keep him in the house (I am not allowed house rabbits, well 74 is pushing my luck:roll:), so he will be well away from other rabbits.

I must admit my first instinct was to have him PTS, one fear for the other rabbits, like Angie said, two as a prey animal I get so het up at the horror of them feeling vulnerable and being in severe pain and me not knowing how much pain they are in. However, if I can keep him isolated, and he is 'comfortable', I would prefer him at home.

Will take the vets advice. If the myxo is full blown as we fear, I would rather him go to peace. If his immune system is that low, I would not wish to prolong it for him.

Alice

How awful. Sending lots of vibes that the rest of the buns stay healthy. In regards to the babies if they are 8 weeks then can they not have a vacination too - I thought it could be done from 6 weeks?

Oh Alice, I am so, so sorry to hear this :( Lizzie is here and she has suggested that you contact Jason as well to see if he has had any experience with failed vaccines.

Alice, if there is anything we can do - please, please let me know :(

All our vibes are winging there way to you and to the buns - a very special hug and cuddle for Milo :love:

Gwen at Bunny Burrows did have rabbits with Myxomatosis, even though rabbit 'Friday' had been vaccinated against it he had full-blown Myxomatosis and had lesions to his ears and all over his belly, he was treated with anti-biotics and painkiller and Nebulized and went on to fully recover.

php6DopN0.jpg

phpP2bchd.jpg

Big bunny 'Phoenix' was also fully vaccinated against Myxomatosis and developed superficial signs of the disease this produced terrible lumps all over her face which eventually dropped off and after treatment went on to a full recovery.

phonix.jpg

Gwen has kindly let me take these photos off the 'Bunny Burrows' website

Alice, if it's any consolation at all, two of my vaccinated buns, Captain Carrot and Scamper, both developed myxi. Scamper caught it from Carrot, but they had already been in close contact before his symptoms appeared, so it was pointless to separate them. On my vet's advice I kept them with the big group, sleeping in the shed and free-ranging during the day. Not a single other bun developed it. Both CC and Scamper are now fully recovered. Here's a pic of Scamper before and after on the side she got her worst ear lesion.

Picture773-1.jpg

Picture935.jpg

Even if other vaccinated buns get it they won't necessarily all get it badly. Sending loads of anti-myxi vibes...

Back