• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch insulation?

Simon

Warren Scout
I've been working on a new hutch today and I got thinking about an insulated sleep box. I think it would be a good idea for the winter but it might get too hot for them in the summer. What do you think?
IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

You might find that if it insulates against cold it will do the reverse against heat! This is what insulation does :D I think it is a good idea but what would you use? Would you put a cavity wall in and some polystyrene or eco alternative? The eco bun house! ;)

it would be cavity walls with some kind of insulation, I've done my best to illustrate how it would work in the photo's. It would have an open and close vent and also a cat flap. The white cotton wool type material in the photo is hamster bedding and I was thinking of using that for insulation. It would cost around a tenner to do. when heat gets into wood it stays there. I think as long as it's in the shade it wouldn't get too hot but I can't be sure. Would a hutch with insulation interest or put people off?

Last edited:
I don't think it would put people off :) I would prefer a hutch to be insulated...

You can use straw as an insulator... would be very cheap! Polystyrene panels are also good, as is that bubble wrap-foil stuff you can use in lofts. I have that in my summerhouse.

Thank you :) straw is an excellent idea. I don't wan't to put anything in there that could hurt the animals if digested though which is why I thought of hamster bedding.

Straw would be safer :thumb:
Hamster bedding could if ingested be a risk of impaction same as any other stuffing type material sadly.

Straw would be safer :thumb:
Hamster bedding could if ingested be a risk of impaction same as any other stuffing type material sadly.

not this stuff. it's vegetable fiber so it's edable. This one that I'm building is for guinea pigs. would they use a cat flap type door. a normal opening would defeat the object.

Last edited:
I don't think it would put people off :) I would prefer a hutch to be insulated...

You can use straw as an insulator... would be very cheap! Polystyrene panels are also good, as is that bubble wrap-foil stuff you can use in lofts. I have that in my summerhouse.

You've just answered a question I had about using straw/hay. Would it work as cooling insulation in summer? :)

Back