• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clumps of Fur falling out

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi All

A few weeks ago Huppie started to 'moult'. I thought it odd but checked various sites and it seemed to be fine for her to moult outside of season. Anyway, I have been grooming her and keeping her under check.

The last week I had to go away and hubby looked after her. He didn't make any attempt to groom her and now the whole of the back of her bum is covered in massive tufts of fur which can just be pulled out in clumps. There are also some tufts on her back and face ( :? )

I am worried that this is more than a moult but cannot see any dandruff suggesting mites. Could it still be mites or is something else possible? She is behaving normally in every other way.

Thanks

Emma

Sounds like a heavy moult to me.
It'd be a good idea to remove all the lose tufts to prevent her ingesting too much fur.
She may just have a few bald patches for a while though !!

Thanks for this - I have been pulling them out like mad, most of them she can't feel at all but some cause her to jump a little - nothing bad.

At want point do I need to panic? She is getting worse not better and the moult is spreading. Her previous moults have been nothing like this. I am in the Netherlands and it have been 25C+ and very humid for the last couple of weeks. Don't know if this makes a difference.

Emma

Back