• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can baytril cause drowsiness or inappetite?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Worried bunny mummy here again.

Tinks is on a one week course of Baytril as I was worried about her being slightly out of sorts and breathing rapidly, (she had a course of baytril for sneeziness in Feb so I'd been told she could be prone to respiratory issues in the future)

She didn't look distressed, her head, mouth etc gave no indication she had trouble breathing she just seemed to be breathing rapidly (about 100 - 120 a minute at worst not the really fast ones I've read on here). A rabbit savvy vet could find no signs of respiratory infection but gave her baytril for a week 'just in case'.

On the whole she is okay, breathing no different but I'm wondering if that's just her anyway :? She's quite lethargic in the middle of the day, again I don't know if I'm reading too much into that, Esme is particularly lazy in the afternoon but it worries me more with Tinks I *think* she is more lethargic than usual.

The only thing about her behaviour today that has worried me is at breakfast when I gave them spring greens (10 minutes after they had finished excel, which she ate enthusiastically). She just let Rudy eat all the greens right next to her and never even flinched, she was laid right next to him. However about 20 minutes later I gave them some grass and she ate it like she'd been starved for weeks!

Since last Tuesday when I started worrying about her she has consistently been ambivalent about spring greens but always eaten grass enthusiastically, she would normally eat everything put in front of her. She's eating hay well and there's loads of big poos. She's pretty lively morning and late evening, begs well throughout the day, she just seems to lie down as if exhausted after eating.

:oops::oops: Sorry for the length description. Just wondering if baytril may be part of the reason she's a bit lethargic ?

As an indoor bunny I've been working hard on ventilation too, although it's not been hot for a few weeks.

Thanks for any advice.

Could the being picky about the greens be down to some effect of the baytril?

Last edited:
Baytril can cause a reduction in appetite, often on or around day 5 of treatment. I have never experienced it to cause lethargy though.

Lethargy is not usually a side effect. As said above they can go off their food and I have also had cases of diarrhea while on it which is often why probiotics are given too.

Thanks for your quick responses. She would be on day 5 today.

I'm not even sure if I'm being paranoid about the lethargy :oops: She is lively when you'd most expect a bunny to be.

As for inappetite, she's tucking in to a big pile of green oat hay with great enthusiasm so it's just this morning's weird incident that has caused concern.

I suspect I'm quite paranoid as I've had a lot of bunny emergencies this year. I shall keep a close eye on her and try not to panic too much.

:wave: Thanks again

Back