• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fur.

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
As you all know,my little fella Beebee has had mites.hes now had the second lot of drops.No dandruff left....but he is moulting something chronic.
He lived indoors till about end of march....then went out till last week when I found him after the rain had soaked his cage.hes now back indoors for the rest of his bunny life.
Is this normal for literally Handfuls of fur to come out???:shock:

I don't know if it helps at all, but my buns have been mega-moulty this season. I've had them long enough for them to have done a few moults, but this last one was the most spectacular. Pom in particular seem to shed a whole coat overnight. I wondered whether it was the very hot spell we had that triggered it. I was a bit worried about it but now that her old coat is gone she is fine.

As you all know,my little fella Beebee has had mites.hes now had the second lot of drops.No dandruff left....but he is moulting something chronic.
He lived indoors till about end of march....then went out till last week when I found him after the rain had soaked his cage.hes now back indoors for the rest of his bunny life.
Is this normal for literally Handfuls of fur to come out???:shock:

Some buns when they shed can moult in handfuls and shed over a few days. Others can take weeks to moult at a slower rate. Are there visible moult lines and is there new fur regrowth visible? If he's moulting and going bald then it could be that he still has mite infestation or something else?
If it is normal moult then I would suggest daily grooming, we find using your fingers and hands teasing gently at the roots of the loose fur can shift more than a brush sometimes. Our girl moults very heavily. Rabbits are designed to cope with fur in their GI tract - passing furry droppings at times of moulting illustrates a bunny with a mobile tract that is able to pass the fur. It's when your bunny is moulting heavily and you see no fur in the droppings that you need to worry as it is likely they are not passing it and building up to an impaction/obstruction. Daily grooming helps to control how much they ingest. Diets high in hay/grass help to keep the GI tract mobile.

Some buns when they shed can moult in handfuls and shed over a few days. Others can take weeks to moult at a slower rate. Are there visible moult lines and is there new fur regrowth visible? If he's moulting and going bald then it could be that he still has mite infestation or something else?
If it is normal moult then I would suggest daily grooming, we find using your fingers and hands teasing gently at the roots of the loose fur can shift more than a brush sometimes. Our girl moults very heavily. Rabbits are designed to cope with fur in their GI tract - passing furry droppings at times of moulting illustrates a bunny with a mobile tract that is able to pass the fur. It's when your bunny is moulting heavily and you see no fur in the droppings that you need to worry as it is likely they are not passing it and building up to an impaction/obstruction. Daily grooming helps to control how much they ingest. Diets high in hay/grass help to keep the GI tract mobile.

Oooh...Thanks.Thats a big help.I can see lines all through him....particularly on his back end.

Simba did this.. piles of fur came out of him over a couple of days and his usually long fluff ended up extremely short stubble on both of his sides :lol: He did look funny but its now growing longer

Back