• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sudden change

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi my rabbit was fine earlier eating and drinking and then strangely when it came to being put outside for exercise he just layed down, he did do some toilets but less poops than usual. Ever since he was put back he just layed in the same place. I have no idea what is wrong. We have used a syringe to get him to drink some water but could not get him to eat. For now we have put him back and drawn a marker on the water bottle to check if it goes down. I am worried as he was fine one moment and then all of a sudden just will not eat. Does anyone know if it is a virus or other condition?

Hi
My rabbit, Meg was ok earlier today. She is now very poorly with stasis.
Rabbits are very good at hiding illness. By the time we notice that something is wrong, they are usually quite ill.
Have you seen a vet with him ????
If they are not eating then it is serious.

If a rabbit isn't eating it's an emergency. Please contact your vet, they can ask further questions to decide if it can wait until 1st thing tomorrow or needs treatment now.

Update. I check on him a couple of hours after we had brought him inside to get him to eat and i saw him eating away. Also earlier this morning he was moving like his usual self and had drunk from his water bottle as well as eaten a lot more food. I have no idea what happened but he is back to normal now. Anyone ever had this happen before? He went a bit like it once before but it didn't last long so i put it down to him sulking coz he was unable to get outside as there was a storm. Could it have been an upset stomach?

Update. I check on him a couple of hours after we had brought him inside to get him to eat and i saw him eating away. Also earlier this morning he was moving like his usual self and had drunk from his water bottle as well as eaten a lot more food. I have no idea what happened but he is back to normal now. Anyone ever had this happen before? He went a bit like it once before but it didn't last long so i put it down to him sulking coz he was unable to get outside as there was a storm. Could it have been an upset stomach?

Yes it could have been an acute bloat or ileus from stress or another underlying cause, they can recover from these episodes by themselves sometimes but I would personally never take that chance and would seek vet attention if I were you next time it happens. He does seem to have a history of this so I think a vet check up would be a good idea tomorrow to check for any underlying health issues. If it was a bloat/ilues these can lurk around and persist on and off for a few weeks so again a vet check up is a good idea. I'm glad he's feeling better.....I would encourage him to eat lots of nice yummy leaves/hay today to try and knock this on the head. :D

Edited to say I think there could potentially be something like underlying dental issues and these episodes could be pain related so I would def suggest a check up with a good rabbit vet. good luck :)

I agree totally with prettylupin & her advice.

Re. your question, I've had these short episodes twice before - he'd blocked his lower bowel with fur balls, & managed to pass them on his own just before an emergency vets appointment! That was simply good fortune.

He also has dental problems. Treating his teeth, helped his diet & has virtually stopped the stomach problems, some of which were life threatening & needed hospital admission.
There are many other causes for this problem which is why you need a good rabbit vet.

I've had many longer lasting episodes for a different reason. Early diagnosis & treatment was literally life saving. I never know if it will be a short or long problem.

Rabbits don't sulk like this just cos they can't go out. May have a temper tantrum or be very naughty!!!!
Hope this helps. Judy & Thumper.

Back