• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pearl aint right today...

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
shes normally quite a quick breather but today i noticed she was sort of holding her head up and her mouth was slightly open while she was breathing.

every now and then she does a sort of hicup/snort noise possibly a sneeze (but ive not heard one before to know) a few times in a row and her whole body does it, sounds like when Alvin lunges at me :(

The vet checked her chest, mouth, felt her tummy, and took her temp... she didnt do any of the things ive explained at the vets tho :oops:

all was normal apart from her heavy breathing but she usually reacts like that at the vets anyhows..

vet said altho its all clear it could be a possible upper resp thing starting but no signs were showing, ive been sent home with baytril and told to monitor her..

did i panic or is there something the vet doesnt see :cry::cry::cry:

shes eating like a piggy still and running about and being pearl, havent heard the grunty noise for over an hour now....Ste thinks shes fine, but i have a feeling :oops::oops:

If there is anything wrong you have been vidulant and taken action early so hopefully will nip it in the bud.

Hope she's back to normal soon.

shes normally quite a quick breather but today i noticed she was sort of holding her head up and her mouth was slightly open while she was breathing.

every now and then she does a sort of hicup/snort noise possibly a sneeze (but ive not heard one before to know) a few times in a row and her whole body does it, sounds like when Alvin lunges at me :(

The vet checked her chest, mouth, felt her tummy, and took her temp... she didnt do any of the things ive explained at the vets tho :oops:

all was normal apart from her heavy breathing but she usually reacts like that at the vets anyhows..

vet said altho its all clear it could be a possible upper resp thing starting but no signs were showing, ive been sent home with baytril and told to monitor her..

did i panic or is there something the vet doesnt see :cry::cry::cry:

shes eating like a piggy still and running about and being pearl, havent heard the grunty noise for over an hour now....Ste thinks shes fine, but i have a feeling :oops::oops:

That sounds like mouth breathing to me which is very serious in rabbits. I'm not sure, I hope someone more experienced with respiratory probs comes on here soon as I would be worried about this bunny. I think these cases often need nebulising with Oxygen? But if she seems ok now then I think you'd better just monitor her closely and be ready to make an emergency dash if you need to and it happens again. Hope someone else along soon. :)

she seems fine, eating hay running over to get food, grooming.. mouth hasnt been open to breathe since yesterday.. i just cant remember now if this is her normal breathing or if its too fast :( :? ive been trying to listen for the grunty noises thro the night but with the dog moving about i could hardly hear the rabbits

This is exactly what has been happening with Lionel over the last few weeks, head in the air with mouth slightly open trying to breathe doing that sort of hiccup every now and then.
My vet doesn't know what is wrong with him he has had x rays and nothing showed up, he has been on a course of baytril which didn't work and a course of septrin which didn't work, he is now on depocilin and is showing slight improvement day by day.
You were right to take her to the vets hun, i would say keep an eye on her.
Lionel sends Pearl some of his get well vibes xx

This is exactly what has been happening with Lionel over the last few weeks, head in the air with mouth slightly open trying to breathe doing that sort of hiccup every now and then.
My vet doesn't know what is wrong with him he has had x rays and nothing showed up, he has been on a course of baytril which didn't work and a course of septrin which didn't work, he is now on depocilin and is showing slight improvement day by day.
You were right to take her to the vets hun, i would say keep an eye on her.
Lionel sends Pearl some of his get well vibes xx

thankyou :D ive got a 5 day course of baytril and im to take her back if she gets worse or is not better after the 5 days...

i felt a right numpty that she seemed fine when at the vets tho :oops::oops:

I think they know to act fine when they are at the vets! Clever little things aren't they?

Hope Pearl is soon feeling better. :wave:

I am always going to the vets if one of mine doesn,t seem right:oops:I took Smokey the other week when i thought he was breathing too quickly,they was nothing wrong though:oops:
Always better to be safe than sorry:D

I think I am going to be like that with Bramble. We've been to the vets twice in about three weeks now. However, that's what they're there for isn't it! Just nice to be reassured.

I am always going to the vets if one of mine doesn,t seem right:oops:I took Smokey the other week when i thought he was breathing too quickly,they was nothing wrong though:oops:
Always better to be safe than sorry:D

thats what the vet said, a lovely gentle lady from OZ she was really really caring with Pearl even tho she couldn't find a problem :love::love:

she also said when they are at the vets they hide the illness because of the fear.

Back