• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Totally Lost !!!!

Amanda J Moore

Young Bun
Hi,
I Got My New Bunny Just Under A Week Ago But I'm Lost About What She's Allowed To Eat And What She Isn't ! I've Heard i Shouldn't Give Her Any Fruit Or Veg Until She's 16 Weeks Old (She's Nearly 13 Weeks Old) But I Have A Few Questions That I'd Be Really Grateful To Have Answers To.

1 - Can She Have Broccoli And Does She Have It Raw Or Cooked ?
2 - Can She Have Pepper, What Colour And Do I Remove The Seeds ?
3 - Can She Have Apple Slices, What Type And Do I Remove The Pips ?

Any Other Advice On Dieting Would Also Be Greatly Appreciated xx

Hi,
I Got My New Bunny Just Under A Week Ago But I'm Lost About What She's Allowed To Eat And What She Isn't ! I've Heard i Shouldn't Give Her Any Fruit Or Veg Until She's 16 Weeks Old (She's Nearly 13 Weeks Old) But I Have A Few Questions That I'd Be Really Grateful To Have Answers To.

1 - Can She Have Broccoli And Does She Have It Raw Or Cooked ?
2 - Can She Have Pepper, What Colour And Do I Remove The Seeds ?
3 - Can She Have Apple Slices, What Type And Do I Remove The Pips ?

Any Other Advice On Dieting Would Also Be Greatly Appreciated xx

Yes she is old enough to have fruit and veg but you have to start off very slowly, just a small piece of one veg and see how you go. The next day you can try a small piece of something else. Eventually over the months you can build her up to quite a big bowlful of mixed veggies:D
First of all the most important thing is that she has access to lots of yummy fresh hay - unlimited amounts, plenty of fresh water and not too big a bowl of pellets. She's still very young so you can give her a handful of pellets but you want to reduce them down over the weeks to just an eggcup full a day.
The reason you start the veg off slowly is to get her used to them, and also to see which cause digestive upset. Veggies that are starchy e.g. carrot root should only be a treat as should fruit, just one slice per day really. Anything high in sugar will feed the bad bacteria in her caecum and cause digestive upset. Starch is sugar and carrots and fruit contain a lot.
All veggies must be given raw.
Apple is fine - pips must be removed - can cause impaction. Pepper seeds are toxic so also must be removed but the flesh again is fine:) Pepper and apple are both fruits - high in sugar - therefore just a little!
Best veggies for bunnies are leafy greens and herbs e.g. carrot tops, cabbage, brocoli, kale, celery tops, radish tops, rocket, watercress, mint, parsley....green things:D
This might help: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

Thankyou

Thankyou For Your Advice, You've Really Helped Me :thumb: I Was Just Wondering What Type Of Apple She's Allowed And What Colour Pepper To Give Her ? There Is Loads Out There And I Don't Wanna Poison My Baby !

Thankyou For Your Advice, You've Really Helped Me :thumb: I Was Just Wondering What Type Of Apple She's Allowed And What Colour Pepper To Give Her ? There Is Loads Out There And I Don't Wanna Poison My Baby !

Any apple you like and any colour pepper - just not chilli peppers!!:lol:

Back