• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does My Rabbit Hate Me?

stuart567

Young Bun
I do the best i can for him :( When i open the hutch and place in food he dives for my hand and has caught it the odd time,making me bleed.When he comes out the hutch i let him come to me but he often does.He doesn't mind being picked up,but when i lower him and try to place him down he tries to leap from my grasp causing him to sometimes fall and scratch my hands to bits in the process.

Also i am having to clean the hutch nearly everyday,as he rips the newspaper,which is under the sawdust up and completely trashes the place.I have tided it once again and have now added a phone book for him to tear it hoping it will stop him doing it to the hutch.

Sorry about my rant,anyone any suggestions for me?

He is 13 weeks old now.I am not going to neutar him anytime soon.

Last edited:
Sounds like he's just territorial to me! I'm sure he doesn't hate you :) He'll probably calm down once he's been neutered :wave:

I doubt your rabbit hates you.

He is probably feeling his hormones. I note you say you are not going to neuter him soon - I wonder why? It will help to settle him down.

When you are placing him back in the hutch or on to the floor do it bottom first so he doesn't leap out of your arms and scratch.

I would definitely neuter. He is likely to just keep getting worse. Neutering really is the best way of reducing/stopping territorial/aggressive or hormonal behaviour. Also it will reduces the resk of cancer. The earlier the neuter, the less likely behaviour is to become a part of the buns personality

Also he may associate being picked up with being dropped, so he's not likely to start trusting anytime soon.

I don't want to neutar him yet as i still thing he's a bit young.I also feel it would be a shame,as i would hate to be neutered lol

I may reconsider however if it will help.

He should be ready to neuter anytime soon...he will be a lot better for it and will calm down considerably :D

I don't want to neutar him yet as i still thing he's a bit young.I also feel it would be a shame,as i would hate to be neutered lol

:lol::lol::lol: Your bunny would have no idea what has happened to him - he doesn't feel as much pride about his manly bits as human males do. ;):oops:

Neutering would help him and vets can usually do it as soon as the plums have dropped, which could be any time soon.

As dustyrabbit said, the best way to put a rabbit down is bottom first with his head facing you, so it can't see where it's going - my two will always leap out of my arms if I put them down facing forwards. :)

I may reconsider however if it will help.

They can be neutered as soon as their plums drop anytime from about 12 weeks up. You can wait a bit longer if he's tiny though. And if you are worried about GA, you can get bloods done first:D

Back