• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I feeding him enough?

Benjamin09

Young Bun
My bun is confusing me! I give him a handfull of meusli in the morning - which he'll a few bits and then gradually finish it over the morning to early afternoon. Then I'll give him another handfull at about 8pm, which he scoffs down?

So I can't work out whether he's eating enough food or not. He eats an unlimited supply of hay all day too...

He's 7 weeks old at the moment if that helps.

What breed and size of rabbit is he as this will make a difference to the amount he eats/needs to eat? The majority of his diet should be hay for both fibre and teeth wear. You say that you feed muesli it might be worth trying to move him onto a pellet mix such as Science Select or Excel, they provide a more complete diet as they stop bun picking out the bits he wants and leaving the rest. If you do this you will need to swop gradually over several days so as not to upset his tummy.

He's a mini lop, and size, prob about 6 inches long? He can sit on just one hand without a problem.

I'm not looking to change his food yet for at least a couple of weeks as he's still settling in with a bit of a dodgy tummy (quite a few soft poos recently - and i'm not giving him any veg because of it).. It does need changing though as he's eating everything apart from one pellet looking thing in his mix..

The soft poo could be caused by (and probarbly is) the mix! I would gradually change over in the next week for about 10days maybe a bit longer:)
And i recommend about 12 weeks to give veg as it can cause upset tummies and only one veg at a time :wave:

I'll give that a go with the changing it then :) and according to the lady I got him off, he was eating carrot and apple in small quantities but no proper green veg - but I havent given him any due to the belly.

but for the meantime, do you think its enough food? He always seems so hungry in the evening, but not bothered in the morning?

As previously mentioned the soft poo is due to lack of fibre in the diet, feeding a mix is a common cause of this. I would also cut down slightly on the amount of mix you are giving your bun as too much low fibre food can cause the soft poos.

Over a period of at least 2 weeks I would change over your rabbit to a pelleted food only giving just over an egg cup full a day. That way he will eat lots of hay which is better for the gut and will stop your bunny passing the soft poos.

Back